Katherine Paschal's Reviews > Boyfriend Maintenance

Boyfriend Maintenance by Lauren Helms

bookshelves: contemp-romance

Emmy has given up her wealth and family name and privileged to try and find her own way in life. Which is usually really rewarding for her- except when it comes to obligatory family engagements like her older brother's wedding events. To make matters worse, her step- mother is trying to hook her up with her loathed ex, so she needs a stand-in boyfriend fast. Enter Jake, the very attractive maintenance man who needs extra money to make his dreams of buying a house a reality. The two make a shaky deal, never expecting real feelings might show up.

Boyfriend Maintenance made it onto two different favorite lists for me- favorite book in the 425 Madison series and favorite book by Lauren (make sure to check out her Gamer Boy Series- fun romances with just enough angst). I love the series concept, where each author writes a standalone story with their own characters, but set in the same world- in this case, an upscale hotel in New York that caterers to the wealthy. I have tried a few other books in the series, and they were hit or miss for me, but this one was a winner! I loved how quick a read this was since Lauren made the story engaging and the plot fast, making this the perfect book to read over a lazy weekend (or in a single evening like I did).

The story was dual narrated by Emmy and Jake, switching at chapters, and you know how I love a good multi-perspective romance where I never have to miss out on internalization. Emmy was fun and spunky, trying to distance herself from the expectations of her family since she never fit their mold. Jake was more the strong silent type, too busy with work and planning his future to be able to relax. I loved how there was humor thrown in the story, which will always win me over as it did in this case. Jake's hook-up attempt at the beginning of the book was hysterical and the random over the top antics of all the side characters (yes, I am looking at you Mrs. Jenkins!) made me look forward to whatever unexpected (potentially inappropriate) encounter would come next.

Boyfriend Maintenance was my kind of happily ever after, conveniently wrapped in a single fun book package. I would love to have another book by Lauren with potential love matches for Bex, Kevin or Levi to come (hint hint). I enjoyed this fast read and recommend it for fans of cute romance with a dash of heat and for fans of the 425 Madison series in general.

I reviewed a complimentary copy of this title.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend Maintenance.

February 4, 2019 – Shelved