Bryan D.'s Reviews > The Congregation

The Congregation by A.J. Griffiths-Jones

Having grown up in a parsonage (Yes, I'm a P.K.), I was intrigued at the idea of reading about life in an Anglican vicarage. What I can say is that A.J. Griffiths-Jones has got it right in her description of what as a youth I described as life in a fish bowl. Everyone is watching the pastor (and by extension his family), and while my father never had a housekeeper, with her own secrets, he did have parishioners spread across four states who undoubtedly had many of their own. Just as Vicar Archie tells his people that their secrets are safe with him, my father never shared the secrets to which he was privy, but I heard him arise at 3 a.m. to counsel a parishioner who had just closed the bars and was afraid to go home to his family. I know of the times the phone would ring in the middle of the night, and Father would leave for the hospital, the funeral home, or a bereaved family home. And all the same, there were humorous times as well. I thoroughly enjoyed A.J. Griffiths-Jones novel and recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Congregation.

February 4, 2019 – Started Reading