J.K. Grice's Reviews > Mr. Flood's Last Resort

Mr. Flood's Last Resort by Jess Kidd

bookshelves: fiction

MR. FLOOD'S LAST RESORT was a very engaging and fanciful read. Jess Kidd writes with some of the same sharp banter as Nick Hornby and some of the same wonderful magic as Graham Joyce. And yet, her voice is distinctly her own. Kidd juggles many elements in this book (comedy, mystery, old age, family secrets, angst, regret, violence, love, and humor) and does so quite expertly in fashioning the tale of elderly hoarder Cathal Flood and his care giver, Maud Drennan. This book is a touching tale of who we are, where we've been, and who we might become. Kidd's delicious prose and rapier wit add to the quirkiness of the characters and the evolving ranges of mood throughout the story. My favorite quote:

"Memory is like a wayward dog. Sometimes it drops the ball and sometimes it brings it, and sometimes it doesn't bring the ball at all; it brings a shoe."

If you want to experience a range of wonder and emotion, you simply can't go wrong with MR. FLOOD'S LAST RESORT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Flood's Last Resort.

February 4, 2019 – Started Reading
February 8, 2019 –
page 217
February 11, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Chris I look forward to hearing what you think of this book! 🙂

message 2: by J.K. (last edited Feb 05, 2019 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.K. Grice Chris wrote: "I look forward to hearing what you think of this book! 🙂"

really like it so far!

message 3: by Morgannah (new) - added it

Morgannah Excellent review like always! Sounds like a great book and I am so glad you enjoyed it.

J.K. Grice Very much appreciated my good friend!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Excellent review, J.K.! :)

J.K. Grice Thank you so much, Michelle!

Chris Yay! I’m so glad you liked it, J.K.! It was entertaining!

message 8: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby Great review J.K.! I could use a fun book. Adding to my TBR list.

J.K. Grice Chris wrote: "Yay! I’m so glad you liked it, J.K.! It was entertaining!"

Yes Chris, it sure was a great book! :o)

message 10: by J.K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.K. Grice Libby wrote: "Great review J.K.! I could use a fun book. Adding to my TBR list."

Thank you so much my friend. It is a fun and a little bit sad too, but just a wonderful book ;o)

message 11: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Kalin Looking forward to reading this author. Terrific review, JK.

message 12: by J.K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.K. Grice Much appreciated Paula! :o)