Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > The Last

The Last by Tawna Fenske

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

The Last by Tawna Fenske not only packed an emotional punch, but it also had me laughing out loud. It takes a special writer to balance heavy emotion with comic relief and Ms. Fenske not only does it, she does it well. College best friends who made a “marriage pact” find themselves both unattached at that magical age of 30 and despite their differing views on love and marriage, find that even without seeing each other in years, their friendship is stronger and ever not to mention new found chemistry.

Early on in this book I wasn’t sure I was going to like the hero, Ian Nolan, very much. He was detached and emotionally unavailable, yet there was something about him that intrigued me. It was obvious that his parent’s divorce and his brother’s death had impacted him greatly at a crucial time in his life and he made an emotional and irrational decision to never love anyone again because all it caused was heartache and pain, but from the minute he reconnected with Sarah Keating, I could see past that hard outer shell and I knew inside was a man who needed love in his life almost as much as the air he needed to live.

There is nothing I love more in a romance that a strong, self made, caring heroine who is comfortable in her own skin and that describes Sarah perfectly. She is smart and compassionate and it is easy to see her career of working with adults with Down syndrome is extremely important to her. While she is happy that her friends have found wonderful men and she is a bit jealous that at 30 she hasn’t managed to find the right guy, she is determined to find him.

I loved the fact that Sarah and Ian reconnect right at their birthdays and that they both recall the pact they made in college. While I was concerned that Sarah wasn’t thinking rationally about Ian’s reasons they should marry, I also felt that deep down Ian wanted more he just wouldn’t allow himself to admit it. It was fun watching them remember their past together, enjoying learning each other as the adults they’ve become and moving from “just friends” to lovers. Ms. Fenske never disappoints in the sexy times and The Last is smoking hot in that department. While the plot had a lot of different threads woven throughout, none of those threads detracted from the romance between Sarah and Ian.

I laughed, I cried, I got a bit hot and bothered, and I’m sure I giggle-snorted a time or two all of which made The Last a completely entertaining and wonderful romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last.

Started Reading