Dana Ilie's Reviews > The Daylight War

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Dana by: Moglan Radu

The Daylight War, Book Three of The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett is a fast-paced, action-packed and exhilaratingly detailed novel that will leave readers breathless and in eager anticipation for more.

After finishing this book, all I can say is WOW! Peter V. Brett really knows how to change character perceptions and showcase different facets even after two preceding books. Let’s begin with the part that beguiled me so much, namely characterization. The author fleshes out all characters vividly and makes each of them distinct, beginning from the POV characters all the way down to the minor characters, each of them feels distinctly unique and this is the best part of the story. Beginning from Arlen as he aggressively pursues his own route and now is becoming a darker character and a bit unhinged as well. Renna Tanner is brought into the spotlight due to her own actions and Arlen’s gestures however as a character, I couldn’t connect with her as she seemed off with her thoughts and her actions cause further discord between the people around her.

Rojer who had a reduced role in the preceding title gets a bigger draw and we see what he can accomplish. Leesha also learns about the new headaches of leadership and I felt the author manages to portray her situation a bit better in this volume. Inevera, Jardir and Abban further confound the readers with their machinations and so it is this facet that makes this book bloody terrific. Secondly the author further fleshes out the Krasian culture whilst distinctly drawing some characteristic ties to Islam. Previously the Krasian world was explored from a masculine lens and in this book the same is done from a feminine viewpoint. However the Krasian culture is shown to be no less ruthless or bloodthirsty as we learn about the Dama’tings and their objectives. It’s not shocking to find out the Dama’tings and their underlings have their own games to play and they regard the Krasian men with even more of a rigid mindset than they view their fellow females.

There are characters which (for lack of a better word) are perfect. They’re strong; they can deal with anything, and do absolutely anything. Arlen is especially vexing at times due to that, especially as some of his abilities begin to manifest and gain potency.

An example of this is the Corelings — in the first book, they were invincible, impossibly strong and deadly creatures, by the end of the second book they can pretty much be killed with a look. He does remedy that a bit in this novel, reintroducing the element of fear, even from the “super-powers”.

That imbalance of power can be a bit of a stint when reading Brett’s Demon Cycle. Despite this, it’s enjoyable to follow along their adventure, and his characters are ones that are easy to care about and they’re fun to read.

While choreographic combats between good and evil or men and coreling if you prefer are still present, I think that the real battle now is between the ego, personality, tactic, friendship and resolve defining the two men. The duality between their realities and the way they face the same kind of predicament is the core element driving the whole tale forward and keeping it captivating. Sadly, for both of them, the point of view they deserve is seldom used.

Warding is now a natural element of the world Brett created. With the insights from the princes, even the corelings don't sound so much out of this world. The variety of drones now found in the book is testament enough of the author's work on his particular species of demon.

I can say with complete confidence that Brett has outdone himself, and this latest instalment surpasses The Desert Spear, and is perhaps even better than The Warded Man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daylight War.

January 27, 2019 – Started Reading
February 4, 2019 – Shelved
February 4, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Terrific review, Dana ;)

message 2: by Dita (new)

Dita Wow, excellent review!

Dana Ilie Diane wrote: "Terrific review, Dana ;)"

Thank you, Di!

Dana Ilie Dita wrote: "Wow, excellent review!"

Thank you, love!

message 5: by Vaishali • [Vicarious Living] (last edited Feb 04, 2019 10:57AM) (new)

Vaishali • [Vicarious Living] Great review Dana :)

Dana Ilie Vaishali wrote: "Great review Dana :)"

Thanks babe, and I love the covers....!!!!

Vaishali • [Vicarious Living] Dana wrote: "Vaishali wrote: "Great review Dana :)"

Thanks babe, and I love the covers....!!!!"

They definitely look stunning ;)

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky Nice review, Dana. You wrote, "the Corelings — in the first book, they were invincible, impossibly strong and deadly creatures, by the end of the second book they can pretty much be killed with a look."
My wife has that power, you know, the one that they say, "If looks could kill..."

Dana Ilie Joe wrote: "Nice review, Dana. You wrote, "the Corelings — in the first book, they were invincible, impossibly strong and deadly creatures, by the end of the second book they can pretty much be killed with a l..."

All women have this power....

message 10: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Terrific review, Dana! I am so glad that you enjoyed this book!!😊

message 11: by CC (new)

CC Excellent review, Dana! ;)

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Dana!😉💖

message 13: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie Luvtoread wrote: "Terrific review, Dana! I am so glad that you enjoyed this book!!😊"

Thanks love!
Oh yeah, this is a brilliant series!!!

message 14: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie CC wrote: "Excellent review, Dana! ;)"

thank you babe!

message 15: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Dana!😉💖"

Thank you, Kat!

CarlB Nice review. I really enjoyed this serie.

message 17: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Ilie CarlB wrote: "Nice review. I really enjoyed this serie."

Thank you Carl, me too!