Ingo's Reviews > Never Somewhere Else

8842081

did not like it
bookshelves: abandoned
Recommended to Ingo by: Paul
Recommended for: No one, stay away from it!

Recommended by Paul here on Goodreads, stumbled over the author again in the Bookperk daily email with cheap and free ebooks (although that was for another book in the series).

From the notes at night in bed from iPhone:
Should be a Crime to write so boring! Unlikeable characters and no suspense so far. Did not gripp me. DNF (did-not-finish), abandoned at 13%, will try to remember to not read this author again.

This was supposed to play in Glasgow, not that I felt it.
For some reason after reading the blurb I thought one of the main characters was a woman (prefer crimes with a female MC), but it was not, and the two men where as bland as could be. Also for some reason this book felt older, more like 70ies/80ies with the remarks and phrases.
Not for me, and cannot honestly bore someone else with it, do not buy, wasted money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Somewhere Else.

February 4, 2019 – Shelved
February 8, 2019 – Started Reading
13.0% "DNF @ 13%
Should be a Crime to write so boring! Unlikeable characters and no suspense so far. Did not gripp me."
13.0% "DNF @ 13%
February 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Haven't read it Ingo, so i don't know what i was doing recommending it. Thanks for the heads-up though. I won't be reading this.

message 2: by Ingo (new) - rated it 1 star

Ingo No problem, the blurb should have pointed to a good book, and the price (99 ct. in Germany at all shops) was ok. Have myself recommended books which I have not read, and been burned. Currently I only try to give advise to family regarding trigger warnings, like unnecessary violence, but as the rest of my family only reads German, there are only a few books I can advise on be it as a warning or as recommendation. With other people I tend to stay away from giving advise except for what is in my reviews.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Feb 12, 2019 12:52PM) (new) - added it

Paul Yes, same here Ingo. Used to recommend books i thought looked interesting (which is apparently how i came to refer this one to you), but only, occasionally, write reviews of those books i really enjoy now. Sorry for giving you a bum steer.

message 4: by Ingo (last edited Feb 13, 2019 04:38AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ingo In the past I was very reluctant to not finish books, but I have now started and sometimes finished so many bad ones, which are really not worth it, I will now try to decide very early not to finish, as not to waste time.
Had a 30% rule where I did not dare to abandon a book after reading 30%, even that is not really helpful - quite a few books tend to drag in the middle at about 50%, even from authors I consider good, as an example Val McDermid is among them. At that point I will read on as I am keen to see the conclusion (if there is one).