Meg Kimball's Reviews > Psych Meds Made Simple: How & Why They Do What They Do

Psych Meds Made Simple by Ashley L. Peterson

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, psychopharmacology

This is a great book! It discusses in detail how psych drugs work and what they do. If you've ever wondered how the experience of taking Zoloft varies from that of taking Prozac (even though they're both SSRIs), or if you've ever needed to know which different classes of drugs help with sedation (there's more than one!), then this book is for you. But this book goes into a lot more than that. It reads as a great primer for anyone who wants to understand psychopharmacology, written by someone who's been there both personally and professionally.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who's thinking of taking psych meds, and also for anyone who's bad at science and needs a primer. (I wanted to take psychopharmacology in college, but the class was full. I wound up taking science for liberal arts, which was really easy; but the truth is, I'm terrible at science. This book helped explain the basics to me.)

The author describes scientific concepts in a broad sense so you can get the gist of what's happening in your brain regarding neurotransmitters (whether or not you're taking drugs). She has a blog at https://mentalhealthathome.org/ which I enjoy reading every day.

I like her gentle approach to the issue of taking meds while pregnant. Again, knowledge is power. The book is straightforward and educational.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psych Meds Made Simple.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading
February 3, 2019 – Shelved
February 3, 2019 –
February 4, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 4, 2019 – Shelved as: science
February 4, 2019 – Shelved as: psychopharmacology
February 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Kimball Enjoying it so far! The author speaks my language!!