Beth's Reviews > Born in Fire

Born in Fire by Nora Roberts

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed

I absolutely loved Maggie’s story - her family, her art! - and I liked Rogan a lot, too. And then they met each other, and the story became about their relationship, and all sorts of contrived conflict and implausible resolutions, and I just didn’t buy it. I don’t buy them together. They’re too different, and their lives are too defined, and I don’t see how this sort of resolution could possibly work. It’s splitting hairs in the most simplistic way. It feels drawn up, by the numbers, too deliberate: Maggie conveniently can’t create anything when she falls in love, until she acknowledges her feelings; Rogan always planned to open a gallery in a sleepy, out-of-the-way place.

All the really interesting storylines go undeveloped so that the relationship can take center stage: Maggie finding that she likes money, and what it can buy her! I’d love to read a story about an artist with that conflict! Rogan, and his loner self, and his few friends who aren’t fully honest with him - I’d love to read more about that, too! Instead we get awkward family relationships and hasty elopements shoehorned in, in addition to a relationship that hangs on implausibilities.

Oddly enough, this book has great worldbuilding - and then it chooses to tell a story about other things.

I reread Genuine Lies and Public Secrets and Tribute just before this, and I have the opposite reaction to those: I have some problems with the storylines, but the central relationships are so compelling that they elevate the entire story. That doesn’t happen here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born in Fire.

Finished Reading
February 3, 2019 – Shelved
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Neusa do Vale Did you read the other 2 books?

Beth No, and right now I have no plans to. I wasn’t all that impressed with this one.