Logan Grey's Reviews > A Shadow in Summer

A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

Jan 30, 2012

liked it

It took me longer to read this 330 something page book than it did the latest installment of George R R Martins "Song of Ice and Fire" series, that was nearly 1,000 pages. I tried so hard to get into this book because it was a Christmas gift, but I really didn't become invested until near the very end.

The school of monks where little highborn boys go so that they won't be murdered by their elder brothers, seemed a bit strange at first. It seemed the purpose of the school was to potentially find the next "poet" and that was supposed to be a high honor. But then those that had obtained the actual title of "poet" and did wizard like magic that they used to protect the city and aid it's financial well-being, seemed profoundly unhappy.

The relationship between poet and andat was interesting to me but I wish the bound andats had better names than "Seedless" and "'Petals Falling." I mean how is "seedless" supposed to scare the Galts or any other potential invading people? That doesn't sound very intimidating to me.

Since I already own the rest of the series I will be reading them, but I'm only mildly excited about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shadow in Summer.