Jody's Reviews > Catastrophe Queen

Catastrophe Queen by Emma  Hart

Readers will find themselves charmed by this romance the moment they start reading it as it weaves a sweet and sensual web around you through its likable characters and witty banter. After a week of reading emotionally intense reads I appreciate this carefree romance, its lack of angst, and its Calgon promise to take me away from it all.

Mallory Harper is a walking disaster, known by all as an accident waiting to happen, and it’s just one part of her charm. She’s also immensely likable, self-deprecating in her klutziness, and can get along with everyone. Her personality is larger-than-life and it lights up every scene she’s in which makes her a perfect balance to the calm and collected Cameron. The start of the story has Mallory down on her luck, homeless because of a fire and jobless because of being fired, living back home with her over-sexed parents and annoying relatives. Things take a turn for the better though after she starts working for a premier real estate agent as she proves her worth in the office while forming a surprising friendship with the boss. The more time they spend together the more they learn about each other in a slow-burn friends-to-lovers romance. Mallory may seem a bit flighty but she’s extremely talented when it comes to people as she easily handles the most demanding of clients. She and Cameron may seem like opposites, especially when it comes to socioeconomic status, but they just click through fun and flirty banter and through their increasing sexual tension. On a whole though theirs is a carefree romance that made for an enjoyable journey to HFN.

Cameron Reid’s the quintessential boss as he’s kind and courteous, especially around Mallory, and it’s clear there’s a connection between them. From the moment his car almost hit her he’s been drawn to her. While others laugh at her klutziness, he finds it endearing and goes out of his way to comfort her when moments of klutziness arise. Though he knows he should keep his hands off her he can’t keep fighting the daily temptation she presents as they evolve from friends to something more in a sweet and sensual angst-free romance full of smiles. Cameron’s a drool-worthy hero, handsome and truly nice, someone unimpressed by his own wealth. His scenes with Mallory were full of heartwarming words that utterly charmed me and had me rooting for them to finally get together after an endless build-up. Readers accustomed to alpha heroes will enjoy the more down-to-earth Cameron and the subtle heroic deeds he did on a daily basis to put Mallory at ease.

The romance between Mallory and Cameron is simply sweet, a slow-burn that frustrated me the closer I got to the end though as I was clamoring for a bit of steam. While their interactions were fun and flirty and entertaining to watch, I still would’ve liked a moment or two of scorch as their connection always felt like it was ready to erupt. Not only are the interactions between the two of them entertaining, but so too are their scenes with the secondary characters. Mallory’s scenes with her family, and her friend Jade, were realistic and full of snark which made for many chuckle-worthy scenes. Her family were brash and they jumped off the page with their tell-it-like-it-is nature. Cameron’s interactions with his family were similar, though his family weren’t near as boisterous, and it was further proof of how perfect they are for each other. From start to finish this was a breezy read that offered a nice cleansing of the palate from all the heavy reads out there and I definitely recommend it to all those looking for a charming romance with likable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catastrophe Queen.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading