Melanie's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, read-in-2019

“People feel with their hearts, Ellen, and since he has destroyed mine, I have not power to feel for him.”

Okay, I know that Wuthering Heights is so many people’s favorite book of all-time, and so many people’s least favorite book of all-time, so I went into this not really knowing what to expect. I will be honest, I didn’t really love it, but I was for sure not expecting the wild ride that this story took me on. I just truly found all of the characters (Except for Ellen/Nelly) to be so damn insufferable.

But this is a story set in 1801, about a man named Mr. Lockwood, staying the night at Wuthering Heights. He meets a man named Heathcliff, who seems absolutely miserable, and he meets a housekeeper named Ellen Dean who will eventually help us figure out why Heathcliff is so miserable. Oh, and when Lockwood goes to sleep that night, he is awoken by a ghost! He then tells Ellen this, and she promptly throws us back into a flashback, where she becomes the new narrator, and we get to see what went down at Wuthering Heights many years ago.

Wuthering Heights, at its black heart, is a story all about abuse, and cycles of abuse, and how abuse can impact so many hearts and so many generations repeatedly. Abuse and cruelty truly breed violence, and Heathcliff and everyone he has been forced to interact with just showcase that theme over and over. Heathcliff was orphaned and taken in, but everyone reminds him that he constantly is an outsider. But this story focuses on him and the three young people he grew up alongside of, and they are all shitty in their own ways.

Heathcliff is shitty because he only cares for Catherine.
Isabelle is shitty because she only cares about Heathcliff.
Edgar is shitty because he doesn’t care about his sister.
Catherine is shitty because she only cares about herself.

“Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”

And friends, it is a truly wild ride seeing these characters interact with one another. And we eventually get to see their children who (you guessed it) are shitty, too! Again, cycles of abandonment and abuse is truly heartbreaking in every aspect.

I don’t want to say too much more without spoiling, because I really do think the twists are pretty decent in this and figuring out more about the ghost was a big highlight for me. Also, the atmosphere was phenomenal, and the Yorkshire moors truly set a beautiful stage for this dark tale. And I feel like this is a little bit of an unpopular opinion; but I actually really liked Emily’s prose, too.

I do want to say that upon finishing this story, I immediately started to look up things about the entire Brontë family, and my heart just broke. The things that those sister, and their entire family, had to go through. I know 2019 is kind of a dumpster fire, but I am so thankful that I wasn’t born in the 1800s, good Lord. Also, reading about how closely tuberculosis impacted this story and Emily’s life truly fucked me up, especially because I’m close to Emily’s age when she died. Seriously, I have so much love and respect in my heart for these three sisters, originally writing their dark tales under male pseudonyms, who will now never be forgotten.

Overall, even though I didn’t love this story, this book was enjoyable enough to read. But you’re never going to find me romanticism anything that Heathcliff did. But I truly couldn’t wait to find out what happened next to all these insufferable characters. And I still firmly believe that Ellen/Nelly deserves the entire world. Also, I had the biggest giggle while reading about someone throwing hot applesauce at someone else, because like, just imagine that.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for use of the word g*psies, death, loss of a loved one, a lot of physical and emotional abuse, alcohol abuse, child abuse, animal abuse, humiliation, self-harm, and abandonment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading
February 3, 2019 – Shelved
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: classics
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
February 3, 2019 –
page 115
31.94% "Imagine someone throwing hot applesauce at you. 🤔"
February 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

J.A. Ironside Yeah I've never understood the romanticisation of Heathcliff. He was a fundamentally damaged person whose damage made him dangerous and was capable of loving (selfishly) only one woman . Sorry this one wasn't for you - although it really is a marmite book.

Melindam He is what I call a byronic-bullshit-hero. :)

message 3: by C. (new)

C. It may be sad I never had the interest to read this since it's considered a classic but I've never heard a great review of it. Kinda thankful it never was forced on us in school as well.

message 4: by Blair (new)

Blair Ok yeah, but have you seen the one where Heathcliff is played by Tom Hardy? Definitely the worst but also.... Tom Hardy.

Bookteafull (Danny) 100% Agree. I read this book back in HS because it was one of my pretentious friend's favorite books and I fucking despised it and Heathcliff. Still do.

J.A. Ironside It helps if you go in knowing that it's NOT a love story. Nor was it ever intended to be. Emily Bronte makes some great points about selfish love and obsession being as destructive a force as hatred. And that if you lose yourself in love, then you basically become its little dog and love with all its destructive potential, becomes your master. So, yeah, I can get on board with that.

BUT when people say to me 'but Jules, it's such a beautiful love story. I just love tempestuous heroines like Cathy. Heathcliff is a dreamboat etc etc' I kinda lose my shit lol

message 7: by em (new) - rated it 5 stars

em Oh, no! I’m sorry this one wasn’t for you. Personally, I loved this book for the sole purpose of illustrating some important lessons of love in the darker realm, but I understand completely. Wishing you a palate cleanser!🤘🏽

Maritina Mela I believe that was the point

Melanie J.A. wrote: "It helps if you go in knowing that it's NOT a love story. Nor was it ever intended to be. Emily Bronte makes some great points about selfish love and obsession being as destructive a force as hatre..."

YOU are always valid, my love! You know I love you with my entire heart! I also think I would have liked this more if I read it at a different time in my life! BUT yeah, the 4k+ people shelving this as a romance? These people need to seek a higher power! LMAO! Also, I promise... buddy read SOON! Why is life always so dang hectic?! 💖xx

Melanie Melindam wrote: "He is what I call a byronic-bullshit-hero. :)"

LMAO! I love this and you! 💖xx

Melanie C. wrote: "It may be sad I never had the interest to read this since it's considered a classic but I've never heard a great review of it. Kinda thankful it never was forced on us in school as well."

Big mood! Hahaha! 💖xx

Melanie Blair wrote: "Ok yeah, but have you seen the one where Heathcliff is played by Tom Hardy? Definitely the worst but also.... Tom Hardy."

Omg, I watched it IMMEDIATELY after finishing and it is truly something I will NEVER forget! 💖xx

Melanie Bookteafull (Danny) wrote: "100% Agree. I read this book back in HS because it was one of my pretentious friend's favorite books and I fucking despised it and Heathcliff. Still do."

You get me, love! 💖xx

Melanie e wrote: "Oh, no! I’m sorry this one wasn’t for you. Personally, I loved this book for the sole purpose of illustrating some important lessons of love in the darker realm, but I understand completely. Wishin..."

Awh, love, you are the kindest! And I hope you're currently having the happiest of reading! 💖xx