James Kemp's Reviews > Code Name: Beatriz

Code Name by Lou Cadle

Code Name Beatriz by Lou Cadle is historical fiction done right. I always shy from historical fiction, not because I don't like it, but because it's really hard to get right. That's doubly so when it's one of my favourite and most read periods of history. I've been reading about SOE agents since finding a copy of Carve Her Name With Pride at my granny's house when I was ten. Lou Cadle has done a great job with Code Name Beatriz.

Code Name Beatriz is well researched, I've read dozens of books about SOE in particular and hundreds about WW2, lots of them first-hand accounts by people that survived it. Nothing stood out as being egregiously wrong. I recognised most of the situations as being based on the real stories of SOE Agents, somewhere someone had been through the same thing in a very similar way. That said Code Name Beatriz is a work of fiction, and there are bits that get bent to fit the story. There's also a very good use of suspense in places. One is never sure if any operation is going to come off, and also whether Beatriz will survive the war.

Starting in the early spring of 1944 it follows an SOE agent with the code name Beatriz (hence the title). Beatriz is a fully rounded and complex character, which makes her interesting. She's not a trope, but a real woman. With that there are no concessions made to being nice, or ignoring parts of life. The story is gritty and very realistic. It has both darkness and light. Beatriz is Spanish, and a refugee from the civil war during which she lost her parents. She married an Englishman, who was posted missing in action. Joining SOE is her way to get revenge on the fascists. The book starts with her completing her training as a wireless operator and being dropped into France in early 1944.

It's a perilous life, and there's a suspense to it that kept me reading late into the night to finish it. Lots of things that go wrong, and narrow escapes. Beatriz falls for another agent, and despite this carries on her fight. There's not much left to the imagination, and the suspense carries on to the end. My only disappointment is that this is most likely a stand-alone book, there's not loads of space for a sequel.

If you like good rounded stories, that don't pull punches, then you ought to read Code Name Beatriz. All the more so if you want to understand life in occupied Europe and the risks that the resistance took to help hasten freedom for us all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading