Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)'s Reviews > The Novel Art of Murder

The Novel Art of Murder by V.M. Burns

This is my first book by V.M. Burns and it won’t be my last! While this is the third in the series, it can easily be read as a standalone – but I’m totally going to go back and read the first two books at my earliest opportunity.

Samantha “Sam” is a great heroine, someone you’d like to have as a friend for sure. Not only does she run a successful mystery bookstore but she also gets to carry out her dream of writing. I loved how Sam uses the events in the story we’re reading to parallel things in the story she’s writing, a story within a story of sorts. And of course there’s the ladies of the Shady Acres retirement village, including Sam’s Nana Jo who is cast every year in the leading role of the Shady Acres Senior Follies. Therein lies the problem – and the murder – this year, and Sam needs the help of the other ladies at Shady Acres to keep her Nana Jo from being arrested. Enter a bevy of delightful, quirky, and diverse characters who are full of life and intelligence and wit. I loved these secondary characters and can’t wait for another chance to visit with them.

Bottom Line: A well-written cozy mystery with charm and heart, The Novel Art of Murder is a truly enjoyable read from start to finish. The murder case itself was nicely-plotted and kept me guessing until the big reveal, and the dash of romance of course had my full attention. Vividly-drawn characters represent a mix of ages and race, and each had a role to play. Looking forward to more from this author and series!

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)

first seen at Reading Is My SuperPower

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Novel Art of Murder.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading