Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)'s Reviews > The Gun Also Rises

The Gun Also Rises by Sherry Harris

This is my first foray into the Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mysteries but it won’t be my last. On the one hand I want to bffs with Sarah Winston…. on the other hand, murder seems to follow her around so maybe not lol. While this is the 6th book in the series (a 7th is coming in July!), it can be read as a standalone with minimal difficulty. The mystery and my opinion of Sarah and her cast of supporting characters was not affected by my not having read the 1st five books BUT I think I would have been more invested in some of the backstories and the dash of romance had I been reading them from the beginning.

The writing is steady-paced and warm, easily drawing you in to the story. It doesn’t hurt either that this plot centers around rare books and beloved mystery classics. Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, the Bobbsey Twins, Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers – bookworms (especially those who are armchair detectives at heart) will find much to love as they explore Miss Belle’s house with Sarah. The clever mystery kept me guessing all the way to the end, and the author did a great job of creating empathy for Sarah’s plight on the part of readers. Tension stays high throughout – from the murder, the missing manuscripts, the press, and not knowing who Sarah can trust.

Bottom Line: There’s more to this cozy series than meets the eye. Sarah Winston is an amiable heroine who has earned the grudging respect of the local police force, as well as the entire community. Her engaging personality is layered and multi-dimensional, allowing for a military spouse/PTSD subplot that draws attention to a not-often talked about struggle. Additionally, the books that grace the pages of this novel (by way of Miss Belle’s vast collection) will warm every avid reader’s heart and have them reaching fondly for beloved favorites or browsing just a little longer next time at the used bookstore

Reviewer’s Note: Readers may want to be aware that there is some cursing scattered throughout this story, as well as the implication of past intimate encounters.

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)

first seen at Reading Is My SuperPower

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gun Also Rises.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading