Kate ✨ is a dreamer's Reviews > Off Base

Off Base by Annabeth Albert

22207986

liked it
bookshelves: mm, recommended-to-me, military, romance, contemporary, lgbtq

3.5 broody male stars!

This one had so many tropes that I adore: friends-to-lovers, fight-the-attraction, unrequited love ... gah! It's a cauldron of my favorite tropes all together!

The premise of this one is that Zack is "renting" an apartment for when he's not on base training to be a Navy SEAL. By "renting" I mean "living scot-free in exchange for the free labor of renovating the house for the home-owners to then rent to someone else." Sounds like a sweet deal, especially when Zack has to get off base and stop living in the barrack's when things get too stiflingly homophobic.

Problem? Zack has zero renovation skill and frankly overestimates the helpfulness of YouTube tutorials. Solution: he (reluctantly) allows a renovation-experienced gay friend-of-a-friend to stay with him and help so he doesn't get in too over his head. And he even has cute cats!

Problem? Math Professor Pike is a temptation Zack, a gay man trying to prove he's actually straight, can't afford. Especially with his homophobic team back on base who's already making his life hell just based off suspicions. He can't let it be a fact. Solution? They'll be just friends.

And they're great friends! Until they become more. After fighting the attraction for too long on too bad of a day, Zack has enough and finds Pike for a single-minded focus, thus starting a journey that's actually not as cliche as how I'd explain it.

But Pike and Zack were actually great together, and I had a great time falling in love along with them. They had amazing chemistry, and their struggles felt real. They kept me up until 1 a.m., and even then left me jazzed enough that I had to get up and clean my room real fast before I could even think of falling asleep. It was a great read, and definitely a nice way to escape the mountains of work I have to do today. I'd definitely recommend!

Check out more totally awesome bookish content at www.covertocoverlit.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Base.

February 3, 2019 – Shelved