Cassie (book__gal)'s Reviews > Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls

Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls by T Kira Madden

This memoir is everything I search for in writing. Hopeful in spite of loss, redeeming without letting cruelty off the hook, and searching for truth. How do we love people when they continually disappoint us? When they fail us? Are there some people that are impossible to untangle ourselves from, like our parents, our families? Will we always love these people so much? These are questions that have always seemed unanswerable to me. Whether Madden meant to answer or not, I found some responses to those questions, how do we do it...will we do it, in her pages; and the answer was always: you can and you will. ⁣

This may not be one of the most objective reviews because I’m projecting my own life, my own experiences into it, but I think many others will also feel the same when reading this book. A sort of distant, but painful familiarity. Madden expertly portrays the experience of being a girl in a world of adults, of not being afforded the chance to truly be a kid in some ways. She does this also with the experience of being an adult coming to terms with the fact that her parents are people too; they have messed up, sometimes in ways that produce dire consequences, but we can still love them and understand that life and love are not always going to be so clear and straightforward. ⁣

"For years, the lizard came to me each time I began falling asleep. I couldn’t push it out from behind my eyes — all those lizard movements — the way it had finally trusted me. I thought of the way I had chased it, the blood rush of that. I thought of not much else. A body, severed, does not die right away. It fights, thrashes. Every part of it remembers."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls.

February 3, 2019 – Shelved