Andrew Doohan's Reviews > Venus in Copper

Venus in Copper by Lindsey Davis

bookshelves: professional-reading, recreational-reading

Another wonderful edition in the Marcus Didius Falco series, this time featuring our eponymous hero as he investigates the possibility of a professional bride might be lining up her next husband/victim. When the prospective target is murdered before the wedding takes place, things go a little awry and the investigation takes a path that was never expected - at least not at the beginning.

The personal life of our hero is further explored and complicated during the course of the novel, with twists and turns that are both foreseeable and unexpected, and which, ultimately, falls in favour of Falco and Helena...at least the end of this novel.

Davis provides another wonderful narrative, immersed in the Rome of Emperor Vespasian, yet not focussed on the life of the high-born of historical record but the Rome of the lower classes, the faceless masses that were the people of the 'true Rome'. The ongoing development of our regular characters invites the reader into the life of our hero, his girlfriend, and the extended band of family and friends with which they interact.

Very highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venus in Copper.

February 3, 2019 – Started Reading