Raina's Reviews > Nursery Rhyme Comics

Jan 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: graphicnovel, j, short-stories
Read in January, 2012

I gotta be honest - I wanted more from this.

It's an impressive undertaking. Most of the contributions are supershort - on average one spread - and getting all these superstar comic artists to draw for this must have been quite a job. The production is lovely - every comic is lavishly colored, even though the book includes a crazy variety of visual styles.

But.

I wanted more interpretation here. More embellishment. More playing. Too many of these are relatively straight illustrations of the mondofamiliar words and it felt anticlimactic when there was no twist. There are absolutely exceptions for this (calling out my girl Raina Telgemeier here, for one) where there was a punch line, a visual explanation for a questionable phrase (Lucy Knisley FTW), or even some added commentary by the characters (yo James Sturm), but most of these guys played things WAY too straight.

That said, what a fun way for kids to get to know these awesome artists. And compare/contrast different comic styles. And even think about what fracturing a fairytale really means. And yeah.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nursery Rhyme Comics.

03/07 marked as: read