Mary Anne's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

bookshelves: non-fiction, book-club, audio-book
Recommended to Mary Anne by: Dana

I totally think the five stars applies. To the point where I will find a way to make someone give that to me so I can own my own copy.

What I will say: the audio, with Fey reading her own book, is the best thing ever.

Okay we're back again. I'm not one to give five stars to too many books, but this book was too amusing for four stars. Honestly, I've not really followed much of Tina Fey's work. I thought she was amazing as Sarah Palin for SNL. I've never watched 30 Rock and am sorely tempted to pick that up. The major reason that I loved this book was the strong punch of feminism that even goes with the title of Bossypants. Tina Fey has been pretty successful, especially with 30 Rock, and we focus on her being a woman in the industry. As it should be. But her foray into funny is also about raising awareness about our culture, sexism, privilege, assumptions, and... children.

I don't know, I just thought this was hilarious, especially in audio format, and I will totally listen to it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

Quotes Mary Anne Liked

Tina Fey
“By the way, when Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have overextended yourself, you need to examine your fucking life.”

Tina Fey
“Lesson learned? When people say, "You really, really must" do something, it means you don't really have to. No one ever says, "You really, really must deliver the baby during labor." When it's true, it doesn't need to be said.”

Tina Fey
“First, Lord: No tattoos. May neither Chinese symbol for truth nor Winnie-the-Pooh holding the FSU logo stain her tender haunches.

May she be Beautiful but not Damaged, for it’s the Damage that draws the creepy soccer coach’s eye, not the Beauty.

When the Crystal Meth is offered, May she remember the parents who cut her grapes in half And stick with Beer.

Guide her, protect her

When crossing the street, stepping onto boats, swimming in the ocean, swimming in pools, walking near pools, standing on the subway platform, crossing 86th Street, stepping off of boats, using mall restrooms, getting on and off escalators, driving on country roads while arguing, leaning on large windows, walking in parking lots, riding Ferris wheels, roller-coasters, log flumes, or anything called “Hell Drop,” “Tower of Torture,” or “The Death Spiral Rock ‘N Zero G Roll featuring Aerosmith,” and standing on any kind of balcony ever, anywhere, at any age.

Lead her away from Acting but not all the way to Finance. Something where she can make her own hours but still feel intellectually fulfilled and get outside sometimes And not have to wear high heels.

What would that be, Lord? Architecture? Midwifery? Golf course design? I’m asking You, because if I knew, I’d be doing it, Youdammit.

May she play the Drums to the fiery rhythm of her Own Heart with the sinewy strength of her Own Arms, so she need Not Lie With Drummers.

Grant her a Rough Patch from twelve to seventeen. Let her draw horses and be interested in Barbies for much too long, For childhood is short – a Tiger Flower blooming Magenta for one day – And adulthood is long and dry-humping in cars will wait.

O Lord, break the Internet forever, That she may be spared the misspelled invective of her peers And the online marketing campaign for Rape Hostel V: Girls Just Wanna Get Stabbed.

And when she one day turns on me and calls me a Bitch in front of Hollister, Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it.

And should she choose to be a Mother one day, be my eyes, Lord, that I may see her, lying on a blanket on the floor at 4:50 A.M., all-at-once exhausted, bored, and in love with the little creature whose poop is leaking up its back.

“My mother did this for me once,” she will realize as she cleans feces off her baby’s neck. “My mother did this for me.” And the delayed gratitude will wash over her as it does each generation and she will make a Mental Note to call me. And she will forget. But I’ll know, because I peeped it with Your God eyes.”

Tina Fey
“It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist.”

Tina Fey
“This is what I tell young women who ask me for career advice. People are going to try to trick you. To make you feel that you are in competition with one another. "You're up for a promotion. If they go for a woman, it'll be between you and Barbara." Don't be fooled. You're not in competition with other women. You're in competition with everyone.”

Tina Fey
“Gay people don’t actually try to convert people. That’s Jehovah’s Witnesses you’re thinking of.”

Tina Fey
“In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and then getting out of their way.”
Tina Fey, Bossypants

Some people say, “Never let them see you cry.” I say, if you’re so mad
“Some people say, “Never let them see you cry.” I say, if you’re so mad you could just cry, then cry. It terrifies everyone.”

Tina Fey
“Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don’t just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles.”

Tina Fey
“there was an assumption that I was personally attacking Sarah Palin by impersonating her on TV. No one ever said it was 'mean' when Chevy Chase played Gerald Ford falling down all the time. No one ever accused Dana Carvey or Darrell Hammond or Dan Aykroyd of 'going too far' in their political impressions. You see what I'm getting at here. I am not mean and Mrs. Palin is not fragile. To imply otherwise is a disservice to us both.”

January 30, 2012 – Shelved
January 30, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction
January 30, 2012 – Shelved as: book-club
January 30, 2012 – Shelved as: audio-book
February 4, 2012 – Started Reading
February 5, 2012 –
25.0% "Started off really funny. It's still pretty good."
February 7, 2012 –
February 8, 2012 –
February 11, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Deana Interesting. I've avoided this, despite hearing good reviews from, well, just about everyone, because I'm not a fan of her acting work. It annoys me. But reading your review, and then reading the quotes you've marked, it actually sounds really good... better than I'd expected. I may have to pick this up after all -- but maybe I'll read it in my own voice to help alleviate my bias against her...

Mary Anne Belated reply! This book was far better than I'd expected. And I didn't love all of it. I wasn't as interested in some parts. But more often than not, I really liked it and was laughing all over the highway.