Hilary's Reviews > Preacher Special: One Man’s War

Preacher Special by Garth Ennis

1702050
Jan 30, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, fiction, fantasy, graphic-novel, horror, humor, series, short-stories, western
Read on January 30, 2012 , read count: 1

The Preacher specials seem to be largely hit or miss. I appreciate them for the back story they give, even if it isn't needed. Herr Starr's story was good - not exceptional, but largely what was already expected and explained. Here we just get to see how he was recruited to the Grail and some of the machinations of how he decided/enacted his plan to eventually become Allfather.

The low rating was merely because.. well, it was expected. There was nothing earth shatteringly fantastic in it, and the same old fetish jokes were trotted out in regard to Herr Starr's ah.. personal habits. We got to learn how he got the tell-tale scars and how he lost his eye - but again, it seemed a bit unnecessary.

So - all in all, a decent book, but not one really needed. It felt a bit like the Jack's Tattoo episode of Lost. Interesting? A bit. Required? Not really. Filler is filler, and I like Ennis best when he's working with Dillon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher Special.

01/30/2012 page 57