Jessica Bakkers's Reviews > Catling's Bane

Catling's Bane by D. Wallace Peach

Your feelings - your ability to have an internal dialogue and make decisions based on your feelings , is a sacrosanct thing. Or at least in OUR world it is. Not so in the world created by D Wallace Peach in Catling's Bane where people's very emotions can be influenced by magic. Can be, and frequently are.

Catling's Bane follows the life of Catling, a child of the warrens born with a difference; the ability to shield herself and others from the magic of influencers. In a world where the powerful and wealthy create and enforce law, and influencers hold even the mighty in their clutches, Catling's gift is both to be desired and feared. For varied reasons, folk take Catling under their wings but he soon finds out not all of them have her best interests - or the world's - at heart.

Catling's Bane is a thought-provoking book, set in a rich fantasy world where the rules are very different to our own. I enjoyed reading Catling's plight as she was pulled here and there and shamelessly used by others for their own good, or their perceived notions of the greater good. I loved the concept of influencing someone and enjoyed seeing how such an immense power was wielded. Peach wrote some wonderful characters who have an incredible sense of depth to them; there were very few who could be painted as 'good' or 'bad'. Rather they were much more complex and flawed as real people should be.

I enjoyed Catling's Bane and am keen to see where her continuing journey takes her. I recommend this book to fantasy lovers, adventure seekers and those who enjoy a magically crafted world where the impossible is possible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catling's Bane.

February 2, 2019 – Started Reading