Judy Ford's Reviews > Finding Jesus among Muslims: How Loving Islam Makes Me a Better Catholic

Finding Jesus among Muslims by Jordan Denari Duffner

This is a scholarly and yet intensely personal book written by a cradle Catholic who drifted away from the church in her teens and came back to it while at university, largely as a result of her interaction with Muslim students. To my surprise, it gave me almost as many insights into the Church of Rome (which I thought I already knew quite a lot about) as into Islam.

It has a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur from the Roman Catholic Church, which means that it has been approved as true to the Church’s teachings on faith and morals. I wouldn’t normally be interested in that, but I was pleased to see it, because it means that I can be confident that the surprising things that I learned about Catholic teaching on other religions are approved by the church and not just the fancy of a single author.

There are a lot of challenges for Christians, particularly those in the West. I started noting down quotations that I wanted to share, but there were too many. So here are just two. One from near the beginning and one from the end of the book.

“We Christians cannot truly be in relationship with God while being out of relationship with Muslims.”

“Mushaaraka is what the “dialogue of life” is all about. Each of us is called to emulate this free-flowing spirit of communion in our relationships with others, including Muslims. We can do this anywhere in the world – in our neighbourhood churches, in the mosque down the street, or in a country across the globe. We should feel confident that wherever we go, God is waiting to greet us. All we must do is be willing to be surprised by God, and open ourselves to witness the sacred in unexpected places. Then perhaps, we might take off our shoes and find ourselves genuflecting on someone else’s holy ground.”

Appendices provide ideas for discussion (Perhaps this might be a topic for a church Lent study group?), some guidelines for embarking on dialogue with Muslims, a glossary, further reading and a prayer that can be used when Christians and Muslims pray together.

I would recommend this to any Christian who is interested in knowing more about Islam and/or wishes to engage with their Muslim neighbours in a spirit of mutual exploration with no attempt on either side to persuade anyone to change their faith allegiance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Jesus among Muslims.

February 1, 2019 – Shelved