Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)'s Reviews > Boy on a Wire

Boy on a Wire by Jon Doust

it was ok

I was sent a copy of this title from the Publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to love this book. I wanted it to show the other side of Australia, the side that books often overlook. In that respect I got what I wanted, this book is raw and gritty and on many levels, emotionally charged. But for me, I truly felt as though it was too long, that there were so many chapters that just felt like they were re-worded repeats of previous chapters. I couldn’t connect with the protagonist past the first 30 pages. I felt a real connection to him early in the book, I wanted him to do well, to escape the world of his mother and father and make something of himself, and when he got to boarding school, I thought that was his chance, but he didn’t and it wasn’t. But I guess that is the point of the book. To show how life repeats, to show how socio-economic status and culture works. I struggled also with the writing style, it is incredibly slow paced, but the chapters are so short, it sort of makes up for the pacing. I like the short chapters, you can read one in under three minutes.

I do feel a little guilty for not liking this book. I requested it from the lovely people at Fremantle Press in exchange for some publicity and a honest review, but I wish it could have been more positive.

On closing, I loved the Australian-ness of this novel, I just wish there was more content and less repetition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy on a Wire.

February 1, 2019 – Started Reading
February 1, 2019 – Shelved
February 1, 2019 –
page 90
37.5% "I am finding the pacing a little slow and that nothing has really happened yet. But I am so intrigued by Jacks innocence and his odd personality"
February 8, 2019 – Finished Reading