Leah Beecher's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Jan 30, 2012

This 227-page-book took me nearly a month to complete because there is so much to absorb within these pages. A memoir, a personal spiritual challenge, with deep theological, yet very readable, truths to hold on to. Of the many, many quotes you can find hailing this book my favorite was: "if you want a book that will challenge you and mess with you in the most beautiful of ways, this is it".
I have read C.S.Lewis, Thomas a Kempis, Spurgeon, and Tozer. I have read many wonderful memoirs by talented women. What Ann Voskamp has achieved in One Thousand Gifts is to take the gems of past spiritual writers, and the vivid story-telling of a modern day memoir; and with it weaved poetic honest lines into an amazing book. Quite a feat. It is such a rare treat to read the words of an author who can illuminate deep theological thoughts told with the authentic voice of a woman, wife, mother, whose domestic and relational life mirrors the same familiar ups and downs as mine and yours. The main theme of her book is living a life of everyday gratitude. Gratitude that is not based on some forced, quick fix positive thinking, not based on a teeth gritting "I can do this" attitude. She slowly, gently, reveals the deep truths of God's all knowing, all good, all loving Nature, without glibly ignoring the pain and ugliness of this world, in our own hearts.
Each of the nine chapters is a different facet of her journey of "Eucharisteo"...a Greek word derived from the words for GRACE and JOY...from it we have get the Greek word for Thanksgiving. Giving Thanks for our Gifts from God.
This over-simple, and easily missed practice, is what changed the author's life.
This is what her book is about.
Not a quick fix, not another "10 steps to a better you", and not another so called Christian self-help book that has self-analyzing as its crux (as if thinking MORE about yourself, every helped anyone).
I too, can testify to what the slow reading of this book, and then the deliberate daily practice of Gratitude, which open your eyes to all the joy we have right in front of us, can do to bring joy and peace to a weary soul in a fallen world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I'm still loving it. There are a lot of challenging thoughts in there.