Jay Winters's Reviews > The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Jan 30, 2012

Read from January 30 to February 07, 2012

Book Closing
I suppose it isn’t in the realm of rocket science to understand that people show and give tokens of love to other people via a diverse set of methods. Of course, many of the simple aspects of how to behave well in a relationship aren’t rocket science, which is why we need books like “the Five Love Languages” to be written. We need them to be written because we couldn’t figure out the simplicity of our relationship’s health or brokenness without a guide. Dr. Chapman’s book is such a guide.

The Five Love Languages isn’t going to bowl anyone over with deep descriptive analysis of the human psyche. It isn’t even going to seem to the average reader to be a very artfully crafted book. But that isn’t to say that the simple message of the book “mind how you show and receive tokens of love”, isn’t important. It is, almost biologically so.

In order to eat, you do not need to know the specifics of calories and nutritional value. Those things are helpful, but most people can get by with simple rules like “one protein, one starch, one vegetable,” or the food pyramid. Dr. Chapman’s book is the simple approach to a subject that can get complex in a hurry - how we love one another.

I would recommend this quick read to any new or old couple to get a better grasp on how they might make each other more happy, and by doing so, live out the true beauty of having a relationship - making your “love languages” talk to each other.

Book Opening
I'm reading this book because of Liz has wanted me to for a long time and I've always been reading something else. Liz gives this book major recommendations as a helpful relationship tool and has bought copies for several people - which is about the highest recommendation someone can give to a book.

Essentially as I understand it, the book is about determining how you show love and how you receive love. That will be interesting for me, even thought Liz already made me take one of the quizzes in the book while she was re-reading it in order to understand me better.

So this book is going to be a "win" if it helps me to understand how I function in a loving relationship better, and a bigger win if it helps me to understand how she functions in that relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages.

01/30/2012 page 37
08/16/2016 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan You should check out Mark Gungor's "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage" seminar (available on DVD). Hilarious... and extremely insightful.