Alison's Reviews > The Hides

The Hides by Kealan Patrick Burke

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: mystery-horror, series
Read from January 30 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

This sequel to The Turtle Boy is set six years later, and little Timmy Quinn, who idolized his father, has grown into a fairly typical teen. Of course, Timmy is anything but typical, and in addition to garden-variety teen angst, Timmy must deal with the various aspects of his gift (although he sees it as more of a curse, understandably).

The greatest strength of this book, as with the first one, is the depiction of Timmy. I was quite impressed with how well the author transitioned Timmy from a young, naive boy to a more jaded, somewhat bitter, teen. I could almost feel the weight of the things Timmy has seen and learned as a result of the gift he discovered in The Turtle Boy, as well as his teenage resentment over a transatlantic move, and his apprehension and fear in discovering long-buried family secrets, including one left over from the first book.

Where The Turtle Boy was a relatively conventional ghost story, The Hides reveals more about Timmy's ability, and in turn, what Timmy's ability enables the supernatural to do. It reminded me, in that way, of a Dean Koontz novel. That's not a bad thing.

The weaknesses with this book were with editing. There are a number of punctuation problems, including a terrible dearth of direct address commas. There's also an anachronistic reference to the Jerry Springer Show, which didn't first air until some six years after the year in which this novel is set.

Those minor issues aside, this was another quick, engrossing read in this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hides.