Joanna Larum's Reviews > MURDER IN THE MINE a gripping crime mystery full of twists

MURDER IN THE MINE a gripping crime mystery full of twists by Roy Lewis

Read 2 times. Last read January 20, 2019 to January 22, 2019.

This is the fifth Inspector Crow novel, all of which are being republished by Joffe books. I have read the previous four, all of which were readable but not outstanding. This one, however, shakes the mould and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The local fish and chip shop owner in a village in the Rhonda valley loses his dog. A local has seen the dog and Dai (Chippo) follows the trail to the local abandoned coal mine. The dog has fallen down it and Dai needs help to get him out. While down the shaft, Dai see the body of a woman and the local police are called in. They find the investigation difficult and Inspector Crow is called in from Scotland Yard - in an advisory capacity. Crow isn't happy about this and, true to form, the local police jump to conclusions and take the case to court, far too soon. Crow has to rescue them by completing the investigation.
There are numerous clues but Crow is far cleverer than the local Inspector and sees the truth behind some of the statements of the people involved, bringing the case to a close. It is a really good story and without the usual over-indulgence in the process of law and so is much more interesting. Even though I had guessed the real reason for the murder before the end, it was still a thrilling ride and I enjoyed it immensely. I am looking forward to the sixth one!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MURDER IN THE MINE a gripping crime mystery full of twists.

Finished Reading