Gabby's Reviews > The Winter Sister

The Winter Sister by Megan  Collins

bookshelves: botm, 4-star-books, adult, arc-or-won-or-received, favorites, liked-it, own, read-in-2019, reviewed, thrillers-or-mystery

Really enjoyed this thriller!
This is my February BOTM pick and it's an adult thriller that follows this girl named Sylvie. Her sister Persephone was murdered sixteen years ago and they never found out who was responsible for it, but Sylvie has always believed it was Persephone's boyfriend at the time Ben. Now, sixteen years later Sylvie moves back into her old town temporarily and uncovers many secrets from the past, and she finally discovers the truth about what happened to her sister.

I thought this book started off really slow, I didn't find myself invested in the story till about 100 pages in, but once it gets going it really gets going and I was so hooked I stayed up late just to finish it. The narcissistic mother who plays favorites with her daughters totally reminded me of another thriller I loved Emma in the Night. I enjoyed the toxic and strange relationships between their Mom and her daughters, it kind of also reminded me of Sharp Objects, even though I haven't read the book I've only seen the show.

I thought the ending of this book kind of fell apart, which is why I ended up knocking off a star, there was a major plot twist that I saw coming from a mile away and I actually thought it was pretty obvious. From that point on you can pretty much see where the rest of it is going, but I loved this book because I loved the complex characters and their family drama, and I was so sucked into the mystery and writing style - it's very fast-paced with short chapters that end with cliff hangers and it's hard to put down! So for that reason alone I really enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Sister.

January 31, 2019 – Shelved
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: thrillers-or-mystery
February 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by B. (new) - added it

B. You should definitely read Sharp Objects!

message 2: by Devon (new) - added it

Devon Munn B. wrote: "You should definitely read Sharp Objects!"

I don't think that's likely, since she saw the TV show adaptation and didn't like it

Kaitlin  Conwill Carr I felt the same way about it being slow to start. I was afraid I was going to struggle to finish, but then I got sucked in.

Christine I am 200 pages in and I am ready to DNF it