Kelly's Reviews > Seas

Seas by Colleen Oakes

bookshelves: re-tellings, young-adult-is-for-everyone

Seas is the second in the Wendy Darling trilogy.

In the first book, Stars, the story starts of quite similar to the Peter Pan tale we all know so well; Wendy and her two brothers, John and Michael, have settled in for the night while her parents head out to an evening party. Soon after, their bedroom window bursts open and a boy, a flying boy, enters the room and their lives.His name is Peter Pan, he tells them, and he comes from a place called Neverland. Through storytelling and wonder, Peter manages to convince the siblings to follow him back to his magical home. Once there though, Wendy begins to see a darkness that hovers around the edges of the amazing Pan Island, the bubbling Lost Boys, and the dazzling smile of Peter. She sees real violence, threats, abuse. She comes to understand that Peter doesn't just want to love her, he wants to own her, and he is willing to do whatever it will take to make that happen. At the very end of the book, Wendy takes her brother Michael and tries to escape. It is a futile attempt, one that results in their capture by a terrible enemy - Captain Hook.

Much of the second book has to do with Wendy and Hook trying to overcome their mutual disdain for each other in the hopes of defeating their common enemy - Peter. Hook knows Wendy has knowledge that will help him. Wendy understands that Hook is probably her best bet at staying safely away from the sadistic behaviors of Peter. It's not easy though to view your enemy through the lens of ally. Hook must ensure her brothers safety, and Wendy has to - without any aid or hinting - come to understand what Peter Pan is, and why he is so powerful. In the meantime, the two, along with the rest of Hook's pirates, are faced with murderous mermaids, treacherous storms, traitors and mutiny aboard the ship. Finally, they know what has to be done and a plan falls in to place, one that will save them and the entire of Neverland forever. Of course, that's when Peter makes a move that threatens to destroy everyone Wendy loves in one fell swoop.

I enjoyed this book, though I didn't like it quite as much as Stars. There are two reasons for this. The first had to do with the formatting/writing style. There were multiple times that the writing was such that I wasn't sure which character was speaking, and I had to read some passages multiple times before I could figure it out. It made the overall experience of reading the story a bit choppy. The second issue I had, was the explanation for why Peter was the way he was. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't like it, and it made the overall world developing of this trilogy a bit wobbly. I do want to know how it ends, so I will likely read the third book; I'm just as excited for to continue as I had been when I first started Seas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seas.

January 31, 2019 – Started Reading