[Name Redacted]'s Reviews > Jack of Fables, Vol. 3: The Bad Prince

Jack of Fables, Vol. 3 by Bill Willingham

Jan 30, 2012

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, graphic-novels, mythology, urban-fantasy

Dagnabbbit. My OCD/completionism compels me to read the whole spin-off so that i won't miss anything when it crosses over into the regular series. Thank goodness for eBay!

Jack is NOT charming, he's NOT clever, and he was introduced to readers of "Fables" as a pathetic loser of a con-man, an interesting background or minor character, but hardly a "leading man". It seems they've tried to retcon him into a more solid trickster character, but it just doesn't work. He simply comes off as arrogant, self-aggrandizing and boorish, which is hardly the recipe for an interesting and compelling protagonist.

That said, this was a surprisingly good entry in the series. I doubled the number of stars I gave this entry compared to the previous two, and I think that had something to do with the lack of Jack's scamming anyone. We weren't being forced to believe that this lout is the next Reynard or Coyote or Puck or Don Juan; nobody was buying what he was selling. This one focused mainly on the relationships between various characters and on Jack being faced with his own origin; also, it included an amusing (and quite dark!) end-cap story about how Jack managed to stay alive so long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack of Fables, Vol. 3.

January 30, 2012 – Started Reading