Megan's Reviews > The Seven Stages Of Motherhood

The Seven Stages Of Motherhood by Ann Pleshette Murphy

I didn't rate this book because I didn't finish reading it. It didn't seem to have anything new or revealing to say. I keep hoping to find a book that reflects more of how I feel about motherhood, or encourages me to see it in a valuable new way. Not having much luck. The reason I quit reading this book is the same reason I hate going to baby showers. We don't seem to have the right vocabulary to talk about being mothers. Instead, we reduce it to awful cliches that either fail to do it justice or reduce it to a chore. But we keep talking, trying to figure it out, taking our only clues from the consumerist vision we've been given. I want to talk about mothering in a new way. I find it to be the most fascinating experience I have ever had, and the most demanding. But how to articulate the details of that in a way that doesn't diminish its complexity? Hm. Perhaps we can only talk about it in poetry or song--something that allows nuance and emotion--a capturing that is not an explanation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Stages Of Motherhood.

Finished Reading