Luthien's Reviews > The Celestine Prophecy

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield

Jul 04, 2007

did not like it

This is the kind of book that has made me prejudiced against "best sellers." It's so terrible that I didn't even finish it, which is significant, because I virtually NEVER fail to finish a book, no matter how much I dislike it. The concept itself is not bad. In fact, I rather like it. But the book is written so poorly that it's insulting to the reader. Literature is art, and this book is the literary equivalent of dogs playing poker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Celestine Prophecy.

message 1: by Michal (new)

Michal Really, cause I personally found it fascinating in the sense that it was good for all readers at every level! It's a shame you didn't finish it regardless of the way it is written, it has very good values to follow in every day life. Matter of fact it has changed my life for the better, I'm really disappointed you didn't enjoy it.

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire Grasse Luthien, I am reading this now and I couldn't agree with you more. I actually think it has some very interesting concepts - things I've been exploring and investigating myself. But the writing is so hideously, horrendously, insultingly bad that I'm not sure I can get through it. Really. It's painful.

Andrew Pritchard Actually I personally consider Dogs Playing Poker to be a work of art, maybe not high class art but art nonetheless, but that is just my whimsical sense of taste. However I must agree that the book itself is rather crap. Worse of all there is nothing original or enlightening about it whatsoever.