Cats of Ulthar February Weird Fiction's Reviews > Death by Committee

Death by Committee by Alexis Morgan

DEATH BY COMMITTEE, the first in a new series (Abby McCree Mysteries), is a compelling and ultimately astonishing cozy mystery set in the Pacific Northwest. After many years in an entrepreneurial marriage in which she and her husband built their own business, our protagonist finds herself divorced and alone after discovering his infidelity and legally insuring an equitable divorce settlement. Her beloved aunt Sybil of Snowberry Creek, Washington, passes, and bequeaths Abby all her property. So as one door closes, another opens, even though it means ongoing grief for the aunt with whom she couldn't spend the desired time as a child, after her own parents' divorce.

Abby also inherits a wonderfully devoted Mastiff and a grumpy tenant, with probably PTSD and a strong vein of loyalty. Unfortunately, loyalty is not found in every citizen of Snowberry Creek; several elderly quilters are opposed to Abby simply because she is Sybil's niece. Then the lady who was Sybil's chief opponent in the Quilting Guild is discovered deceased---in Sybil's, now Abby's, backyard blackberry bramble patch. Dolly didn't put herself there; it's a clear case of homicide. Now Abby has to determine how to clear her late Aunt's reputation.

I found DEATH BY COMMITTEE an absorbing cozy, with a really unexpected denouement which had me fired up too, just as it did Abby. I'm anticipating the next in this exciting series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death by Committee.

January 31, 2019 – Started Reading