Kat Snark's Reviews > A Promise of Fire

A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

22207986
4 stars!

I adored this! It was so much fun - it had travel, dragons, sass, a repertoire of magical powers and Griffin :)

The book opens up with our main character, Cat, masquerading as a soothsayer (a kind of fortune-teller) in a traveling circus. And she's kidnapped by a large brute! Apparently, she's something called a "Kingmaker."
"Kingdom's rise and fall for you. Because of you."

My favorite part of this was probably all the magical powers she kept whipping out of her ass! She absorbs the magic of those from around her, possible creature driver, oracular dreams, calling on the three gods who favor her, fire-breathing ... and others.

The level of sass Cat leveled at Griffin and his band of brothers was also highly entertaining. Not to mention, her reactions. She sometimes had the reactions of a six-year-old girl, albeit an adorable one.
I can't bear to face Griffin after that kiss. My maturity level is apparently that of a five-year-old because I stay invisible for two whole days until Panotii (her horse) starts to protest.
His blue eyes twinkling, Kato heaves a sigh of relief when I finally reappear. "That was the strangest two days of my life. It was like talking to a realm-walking spirit."
"With an attitude," Flynn remarks.

Something I wasn't expecting from this book was the scope. The plotline is vaguely reflective of a Sarah J. Maas book in regards to the epic-ness of the story and how much she managed to put into a single book.

I definitely recommend this one! It hit some slow spots in the middle, but once it caught its pace, I was riveted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Promise of Fire.

January 31, 2019 – Shelved