Helen's Reviews > Goddess of The Hunt

Goddess of The Hunt by Shelby Eileen

bookshelves: 2019, lgbtqia, poetry

3.5/5 stars.

Check out my review on Youtube!

love happens to some people, but it does not have to happen to you.

Goddess of the Hunt is an own voices aro/ace poetry collection which revolves around the goddess Artemis. I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review - thank you so much to Shelby for sending this to me!

Several things really stood out to me about this collection. Firstly, it has incredible description. The collection is very visual and the descriptive language is absolutely stunning, painting an extremely vivid picture for the reader. Secondly, it has an interesting format, as the poems alternate between a first and third person perspective, describing Artemis and a number of other gods/goddesses. It was also my first time ever reading a book with aromantic representation, so I was really excited about that!

However, something I struggled with when reading was a lack of clarity. The collection seemed to have an overarching narrative and felt as though it were telling a story, but I found that aspect to be unclear and had some difficulty understanding what that narrative was supposed to be. Admittedly, this could be due to my own ignorance; I have no knowledge of Artemis and went in completely unaware of the character's history, so perhaps if I had more background knowledge going in then the collection would have made more sense to me. Overall I did feel quite distanced from the book, since I really enjoyed the descriptions but couldn't feel a true connection to Artemis as a character. I acknowledge that this is on me; I probably should have done some research going in to ensure I got the most out of this reading experience - however, I do want to let people know that this may be one of those books where you do need knowledge of the original myth in order to truly understand the connotations of the book.

Shelby's writing style is ever-evolving and I continue to enjoy reading their books and seeing how their work progresses. As I said, there's some really gorgeous use of language in this collection and some highly interesting metaphors. It has a very rich aesthetic and stands out nicely against her other works - for example, this has an entirely different tone to her previous release, 'Sunshine, Sadness and Other Floridian Effects.' It proves that Shelby has great versatility and I will definitely continue to check out their future releases - I just feel that this book didn't resonate with me personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess of The Hunt.

January 31, 2019 – Started Reading