Vicki's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: memoir-biography
Read in January, 2012

This is a really, really interesting book on at least 100 different levels. Chef Gabrielle Hamilton lays it all out there, through series of essays that are about her life, family and food. It's an absolutely luscious read -- so easy to see the images, to imagine the food. But it's rough. Not a single thing is hidden, no bad actions or poor choices are made more palatable for us.

Another reviewer said that by the end of this book, he had started to hate Hamilton as a person. I will grant you: there are times when she's pretty unlikeable. But she's a person who's putting it all out there. It's hard not to be astonished (in a bad way) by some of her choices or actions. I could get over that. I had a harder time understanding why certain people in her life were so awful, but I think that's more of a writing thing. I'm not doubting her feelings. I just don't see how they came to be what they are. Anyway. This is a book to be savored, and enjoyed for both the light and the dark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.