Petrik's Reviews > Nevernight

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

bookshelves: owned-ebooks
Recommended to Petrik by: Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Recommended for: Fans of Red Sister & Battle-School trope

4.5/5 stars

O’gentlefriend, Nevernight was incredible. Allow me to join The Droogs from now on.

The Nevernight Chronicle is not a series I’ve never heard of. If you’re active on Book Twitter, Bookstagram, or Booktube, you’ll most likely have seen or heard of this series. How could you not? The fans are very loud and devoted; aesthetically, both US & UK editions of this series look gorgeous as fuck; the content? Let’s just say that the beautiful cover artworks really did the content justice and vice versa. To Emily Fox and Emma, thank you for recommending this book to me. I can’t believe I almost missed such an awesome book just because the series has been falsely labeled as a book/series specifically for YA audience. Now, there’s nothing wrong with YA—this isn’t me judging the quality of YA books—but it feels wrong to immediately label Nevernight or any book as a book targeted for YA audience just because the main character is young; 16 years old in this case. In my opinion, Nevernight sits comfortably in the hybrid stage between YA and adult fantasy; a novel that can be read and enjoyed by both YA & adult SFF reader, just like Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson or Red Rising Saga (just the first three books) by Pierce Brown. So yes, don’t let the occasional mislabeling of this series put you off from giving the series a go.

“Too many books. Too few centuries.”

Nevernight is the first book out of three in The Nevernight Chronicle by Jay Kristoff. The story begins with an unnamed narrator telling the readers that they’re going to recount the details behind the tale surrounding the main heroines of the series—Mia Corvere—and from there on we immediately follow Mia’s perspective. There are two timeframes in the narrative, the past where Mia was ten years old; another where Mia is a sixteen years old girl determined to join The Red Church—a school of assassins—to perfect her assassination skills in order to seek vengeance against the people who destroyed her life and family in the past. At its core, Nevernight is a revenge story that utilized a battle-school trope, which is also one of my favorite tropes in SFF. Comparison-wise, I’ll say that if you’ve read and loved Red Sister by Mark Lawrence, you MUST give this book a read. I would describe Nevernight as Red Sister taking place in a setting that’s reminiscent to The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Revenge, love, and friendship are the three main themes of the novel. Although the plotline may not be the most original one out there, Kristoff’s execution of this dark tale was brilliant.

“The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You're a daughter of the words. A girl with a story to tell.”

How could I not love Mia? She loves solving Puzzle and perusing books, and she also genuinely cares about her loved ones. I’ve mentioned before that Nevernight reminded me of Red Sister. A huge part of this is that I found Mia to be similar to the main heroine of that series: Nona Grey. Both of them are young female main characters learning in a battle-school of assassins; both of them have a similar trait that cares about their friends intensely. I loved seeing Mia’s character development as she learned the true meaning of friendship and love during her deadly lessons in The Red Church. For those of you who don’t know, Mia also has an everlasting companion, Mister Kindly. Mister Kindly is a Daemon in the form of a cat, a devourer of fear that accompanied and helped Mia. Let me repeat that, a shadow cat that devours fear. How can you resist reading this book knowing that Mister Kindly exist!?

Picture: Never Alone by Nan Fe

The world-building in Nevernight isn’t as massive/complex as many adult fantasy series I’ve read. This, however, doesn’t mean that the world-building was poorly done. Three suns that almost never sets, a city built out of the bones of dead giants, families with a long history, and an efficiently told lore that wormed its way into the narrative made The Republic of Itreya filled with a vivid and atmospheric quality. Similar to Camorr from The Lies of Locke Lamora, Itreya reminded me of a fantasy-esque version of Venice. Kristoff incorporated the lore and history of the world effectively into the dark magic and engaging action scenes of the book while leaving questions to be answered in the sequel.

“The brighter the light, the deeper the shadow.”

Also, I personally think there’s an over-exaggeration over Kristoff’s prose being purplish. Yes, reading is very subjective and his prose won’t be a hit for everyone; no prose ever will. However, the constant screaming I’ve heard about the prose being super purple seemed to imply that reading it will turn the reader into a purple Hulk. I’ll admit that there were a few phrases that I failed to connect with but nothing that major that would end up ruining my enjoyment of the book. Admittedly, one detailed sex scene in this book didn’t work for me, not because it’s not well-written, but it was too long, no pun intended. Thankfully, romance and the sex scenes never took over the story. Generally, I also don’t enjoy reading footnotes, but the footnotes featured in Nevernight provided humorous commentaries and great insights into the world-building that I can’t help but enjoyed reading. Kristoff’s writing and storytelling style were delightful to read; they’re engaging, fun, atmospheric, and beautifully written.

“Beauty you're born with, but brains you earn.”

I’ve noticed that there’s a strong feeling that comes with reading Nevernight; it’s either hate it or love it, there’s no in-between. I can finally understand why and fortunately, I’m in the latter. Revenge plot executed wonderfully, filled with empathizing characters and blood-soaked action scenes told in a beautifully dark and enchanting manner; Nevernight is a bloody enthralling start to a trilogy that I enjoyed reading immensely. I’ll be diving into Godsgrave right away. If you haven’t started this series, now is a good time to embark upon this adventure, especially because the third and last book of the trilogy comes out in a few days. The scarlet maestro of assassination has plenty of songs to sing, and you shall never flinch, never forgive, and never forget it.

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevernight.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Jay Kristoff
“Beauty you're born with, but brains you earn.”

Jay Kristoff
“The brighter the light, the deeper the shadow.”

Jay Kristoff
“Too many books. Too few centuries.”

January 31, 2019 – Shelved
August 25, 2019 – Started Reading
August 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

message 1: by Jenia (new)

Jenia Hahaha ok EVERYONE is into this series rn... I'll have to start it just to figure out what's up with the hype

Petrik Jenia wrote: "Hahaha ok EVERYONE is into this series rn... I'll have to start it just to figure out what's up with the hype"

It was sooo good, Jen! I didn't expect to enjoy it this much actually. I hope you'll enjoy this one too! :D

Bethany Yes! I was so surprised how much I enjoyed Nevernight as well. From the reviews on here, you would think the prose is completely unintelligible; the actual sentences aren't written in coherent English, it's so purple. Not quite the case, but thanks Goodreads for the exaggeration. Looking forward to Godsgrave as well!

Petrik Bethany wrote: "Yes! I was so surprised how much I enjoyed Nevernight as well. From the reviews on here, you would think the prose is completely unintelligible; the actual sentences aren't written in coherent Engl..."

Exactly! That's why it's always better to give it a try on our own if it's something that's already interesting to us! :)

Petrik FanFiAddict wrote: "🤗"

Crazy, I gave this book a looong time ago and back then it didn't work for me at all. Look how much I loved it now! I guess I was just in the wrong mood xD

Kaitlyn Welcome to the Red Church, Petrik! Great review as per usual 😊

Petrik Kaitlyn wrote: "Welcome to the Red Church, Petrik! Great review as per usual 😊"

Thank you, Kaitlyn! Much appreciated! :D

Travis We welcome you with open arms! Excellent review!!

Petrik Travis wrote: "We welcome you with open arms! Excellent review!!"

Thanks, Travis! Mwahahaha I appreciate the welcome! :)

message 11: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey I was hesitating between this book and chasing graves of Ben galley finally I tried galley and it’s great too. I will try nevernight after of course. Have you heard of chasing graves?

sofia (sam willows) aaa i'm so happy you loved! you're the fantasy reviewer whose opinion i look to the most, and nevernight is my favorite series ever!! imo, godsgrave is even more amazing, and takes this series to a whole new level

Ambrine O. Amazing reviews Petrik like always 😊 I’m so glad you liked it now onto Godsgrave 👌🏼

message 14: by Hamad (last edited Aug 28, 2019 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hamad I loved this one, I thought there was some purple prose specially at the beginning but it was excellent after that! I loved everything about this one and thought it was the strongest in the series, I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series, specially DD! (Also this book is not marketed as YA as far as I know, it is known that it is an adult book)

Brenda Waworga eeeep so glad to know you enjoyed Nevernight 😍😍 hope youll enjoy Godsgrave too gentlefriend

message 16: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Awesome! Debating on whether to read this or Red Sister first. Would you recommend one over the other?

Petrik Audrey wrote: "I was hesitating between this book and chasing graves of Ben galley finally I tried galley and it’s great too. I will try nevernight after of course. Have you heard of chasing graves?"

Ah yes I've heard of Chasing Graves. My co-blogger has reviewed it and she said it was great! I haven't read it though. I hope you'll love the series!

Petrik sofia (sam willows) wrote: "aaa i'm so happy you loved! you're the fantasy reviewer whose opinion i look to the most, and nevernight is my favorite series ever!! imo, godsgrave is even more amazing, and takes this series to a..."

Thank you for the kind words, Sofia! Haha I really loved this one! I hope i'll love Godsgrave too. I'm making way through it right now! :)

Petrik Ambrine O. wrote: "Amazing reviews Petrik like always 😊 I’m so glad you liked it now onto Godsgrave 👌🏼"

Thank you, Ambrine! Let's do this buddy read! :D

message 20: by Parcival (new)

Parcival 👍

Petrik Hamad wrote: "I loved this one, I thought there was some purple prose specially at the beginning but it was excellent after that! I loved everything about this one and thought it was the strongest in the series,..."

Yeah, the prose was a bit purplish in the first quarter but I feel like it gets less and less the more the story progressed. (The book isn't being marketed at YA by the publishers, but it is categorized as one by many readers. More than 500 people actually shelved it as YA.)

Petrik Brenda wrote: "eeeep so glad to know you enjoyed Nevernight 😍😍 hope youll enjoy Godsgrave too gentlefriend"

Thank you, my gentlefriend! xD

Petrik Alex wrote: "Awesome! Debating on whether to read this or Red Sister first. Would you recommend one over the other?"

I loved both of them equally... Definitely would not recommend one over the other! Red Sister doesn't have footnotes though so maybe give that a read if you're really meh towards footnotes! :D

Petrik Parcival wrote: "👍"

gelowmichael WELCOME PETRIKK!!!!!!!

Petrik gelowmichael wrote: "WELCOME PETRIKK!!!!!!!"

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome! :D

gelowmichael Petrik wrote: "gelowmichael wrote: "WELCOME PETRIKK!!!!!!!"

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome! :D"

Get Godsgrave and just wait for Darkdawn. All of us would be destroyed hahahhaa

message 28: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Oh, I also thought this was ordinary YA fantasy, the genre with which I have been struggling lately, so I avoided this series. Good to know it's not the case, I have to reconsider my decision not to read it ;)

Hamad Petrik wrote: "Hamad wrote: "I loved this one, I thought there was some purple prose specially at the beginning but it was excellent after that! I loved everything about this one and thought it was the strongest ..."

Yup I exactly felt that way! (Aldo DD had so much of those long sex scenes you mentioned so get ready!)

Petrik gelowmichael wrote: "Petrik wrote: "gelowmichael wrote: "WELCOME PETRIKK!!!!!!!"

Thank you for the enthusiastic welcome! :D"

Get Godsgrave and just wait for Darkdawn. All of us would be destroyed hahahhaa"

I'm about halfway through Godsgrave, I'll be waiting together with you soon! :)

Petrik Lucia wrote: "Oh, I also thought this was ordinary YA fantasy, the genre with which I have been struggling lately, so I avoided this series. Good to know it's not the case, I have to reconsider my decision not t..."

Right?? So lucky I decided to gave it a go! Such a great book! I hope you'll enjoy it too if you do decide to read it, Lucia! :)

Petrik Hamad wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Hamad wrote: "I loved this one, I thought there was some purple prose specially at the beginning but it was excellent after that! I loved everything about this one and thought it was..."

I'll make sure to be prepared for that... xD

Micaila Blankenship Yessss welcome to the Droogs! I tend to hate purple prose but I agree with you, this book I didn’t feel was too purple. It’s descriptive and has tons of footnotes... but it is absolutely essential to the tone of the story.

Have fun reading book 2, it’s different but fantastic!

Petrik Micaila wrote: "Yessss welcome to the Droogs! I tend to hate purple prose but I agree with you, this book I didn’t feel was too purple. It’s descriptive and has tons of footnotes... but it is absolutely essential ..."

Thank you, Micaila!! I'm halfway through Godsgrave right now. It started quite different from the first book but I'm enjoying it very much now! :)

LittleBookDruid What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insights into what this story potentially holds. Otherwise I was quite blindfolded and the only thing I knew was that the main character swears a lot. lol
The cat's character was news to me and whenever I read this book, it would be because of that cat. :D

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insights into what this story potentially holds. Otherwise I was quite blindfolded ..."

Thank you, my friend! Hahaha well, the main character did swear a lot! xD But yes, you're going to love Mister Kindly! :D

Anna-Emilia you landed on the winning side, book 3 is finally soon here! glad you liked it, because like you said, it's either love or hate, no in-betweens :p

Petrik Anna-Emilia wrote: "you landed on the winning side, book 3 is finally soon here! glad you liked it, because like you said, it's either love or hate, no in-betweens :p"

Thanks, Anna! I'm really glad I landed on the winning side! xD Yeah, I should be done with Godsgrave today and then I'll be ready to read Darkdawn! :D

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insights into what this story potentially holds. Otherwise ..."

And another thing you mentioned is also true. The stigma of age-bracketed marketing has turned a lot of books in weirdly awkward positions. For example, I simply couldn't believe or immerse into Six of Crows until I started ignoring the writer's attempts to tell me that they are all under twenty. Because none of them were. Sometimes the characters are too mature and to get more sales, they try to sell it as young adult literature. :/

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insights into what this story potentially ho..."

Oh yes Six of Crows were quite crazy, none of the characters behave or acted like they were under twenty. I had to put it in my head that all of them are older than twenty years old too when I was reading it!

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insights into what t..."

Haha, so you used the same method? It becomes important in some YAs.

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review provided some more insig..."

Not often but kinda have too for this one. This apply as well in many manga xD

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list still your review ..."

Haha, another important point. Just recently I finally watched Naruto's last arc (had been putting it off for no particular reason) and then a dialogue came, of one character came claiming he was only nineteen and I literally spurted on my drink. I really don't understand this inclination to keep characters so young, so yeah, I guess all we can do is ignore that.

Katie Glad you enjoyed! It’s been a while since I’ve read this. These books definitely have some flaws, the romance personally irked me a lot but the prose is lovely

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to my priority tbr list sti..."

Right!? I think it's because Japanese publishers target market are usually teenagers to adults that they set their characters' age their way, even though not many of them really behaved like one... xD

Petrik Katie wrote: "Glad you enjoyed! It’s been a while since I’ve read this. These books definitely have some flaws, the romance personally irked me a lot but the prose is lovely"

Thank you, Katie! Agreed very much! I just finished Godsgrave, the romance there irked me even more but the rest of the book was so engrossing! :D

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "What a review... this book still hasn't made its way to ..."

Yeah, I don't know about Japan but in other parts of the world, animes/cartoons are still considered kids stuff (my mom still jokes about me not growing up since I watch them) so maybe young characters are used to lure readers in even though some animes turns out to be a lifelong commitment, e.g One Piece.