Bookgirl86's Reviews > The Prophetic Mayan Queen: K'Inuuw Mat of Palenque

The Prophetic Mayan Queen by Leonide Martin

Whenever a book starts with a map in the front cover, you know it's going to be good. This book was no exception. 'The Prophetic Mayan Queen: K'inuuw Mat of Palenque' by Leonide Martin was an interesting, rich and engaging read.
The book pulled me in right from the beginning, wrapping me in such an expansive yet intimate world. In the beginning, there is only K'inuuw Mat, a twelve-year-old girl who is just starting puberty and is, therefore taking her customary journey back home to the motherland of her people, the island of Cuzamil.
K'inuuw Mat's deepest wish is to be called by the Goddess that her people worship and to become a seer. This would mean that she would never marry and instead spend her time doing rituals and predicting future events. Of course, all does not go as planned and K'inuuw Mat discovers that she has a different destiny altogether.
I have always been a fan of Mayan culture and have always loved historical fiction and historical rewrites, so it's safe to say that this book and I were probably destined for each other. Leonide Martin's writing is terrific and inviting. While reading, I really felt like I'd been transported back in time and was standing on the boat with K'inuuw Mat. There was so much rich detail in the descriptions and settings and the atmosphere was pitch perfect. I loved this author's writing and can't wait to see what she does next.
5 very entertained and compelled stars. I would, without reservation recommend this book to anyone who enjoys, or wants to learn more about Mayan culture. You couldn't find a better novel, in that case.
I would also recommend this to anyone who doesn't really have an opinion on Mayan culture, but just enjoys a good novel, as it fulfills that need as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophetic Mayan Queen.

Finished Reading
January 30, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Leonide (last edited Feb 06, 2019 03:52PM) (new) - added it

Leonide Martin Really appreciate this wonderful review by Bookgirl86. Thanks for taking part in my Virtual Book Tour organized by Teddy Rose. As a fan of Mayan fiction, you'll no doubt enjoy the three books preceding K'inuuw Mat that tell the stories of three prior Mayan queens in the Palenque lineage. Also check out my list of favorite books about the Mayas on Goodreads.