Jen 's Reviews > Stray

Stray by Andrea K. Höst

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: keepers, kindle
Read in January, 2012

Holy cow, this is one of the BEST books I have ever read! I can't believe it was a Kindle freebie. Actually, considering the next two books in the trilogy aren't free, I can see why, so as soon as you finish this one, you buy the other two. And it is WORTH it, let me tell you.

The main character has a great sense of humor that I instantly connected with. It also has a sci-fi bent to it, which I love. She's not the perfect hero, she's surrounded by them, but she is still special herself. I absolutely loved this book and while only part-way through it bought the other two and the "Gratuitous Epilogue". I have since finished the second book and am trying to drag the last one out, because the epilogue is more of a short story than a whole book and I DON'T WANT THE STORY TO END.

You will NOT regret reading this book. It's fantastically written, imaginative and while it does get adult with some violence and "bedroom" acts, the scenes are more left to the imagination than described. And they don't really happen until the second/third book. May not be great for younger readers who aren't mature, but a definite good read for teens on up.

I hope the author writes more, because she is a fantastic writer!

*re-reading review* Ok, I'm in a book slump and am re-reading the Touchstone Trilogy because I'm not finding much to keep my mind from wondering and me from chucking the book and moving on to a new one.

!!! O, one thing I completely forgot to mention is the use of sign language in the book. I am learning it now (not due to the book, but seeing it in the book has re-emphasized my desire to learn it) and now I see it everywhere. It is so important to learn new languages and sign language is dear to my heart, because of those who need it. I absolutely LOVE how Host has introduced such important themes and ideas in her books without beating you over the head with them. She has a delicate touch on such important topics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.

Quotes Jen Liked

Andrea K. Höst
“I blame Doctor Who. Mr Spock. The Scooby Gang: both the ones in the Mystery Machine and the ones with the stakes. I've spent my life with stories of people who don't walk away, who go back for their friends, who make that last stand. I've been brainwashed by Samwise Gamgee.”
Andrea K. Höst, Stray

02/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Martyn (new) - added it

Martyn Stanley This sounds amazing. I love the concept.

Jen Martyn, this series ROCKS. And fifth book just came out! Will be re-reading entire series as soon as possible! Try the first one and you will be hooked! :)