Kirstie's Reviews > My Plain Jane

My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: edwardian-or-victorian-era, paranormal, romance, young-adult

I'll probably be burned at the stake for admitting this, but I've not read the original Jane Eyre, so I came into this book pretty damn fresh. I'm not sure how close or far the characters are to their originals. But that also means I'm not distracted by any diversions from the original plot.

Like this books predecessor, My Lady Jane, there's a lot of modern style humour and plenty of laughs. Quite a few references to pop culture such as The Princess Bride and Harry Potter as well. Fortunately some of the issues I had with the previous book were not here. The narrator interjection was less frequent and overbearing, and there was no massive end of book infuriation as a result of a particularly egregious interjection either.

The plot was both fun and funny. I especially loved the fun poked at the age gap between Rochester and Jane, and the eventual reason we find out for it all.

One issue that confused me, near the end there was a scene where the ghosts of Lady Jane and G from the previous book were seen but absolutely no mention was made anywhere in the book of the existence of edians (people who transform into animals). None. At all. Not even a 'Edians were a thing but now they're not because...' sentence/paragraph/snippet of explanatory dialogue/egregious info dump. Considering the reactions had when G the ghost turned into a horse you'd think no one had a clue what Edians were. Seriously, if this isn't covered in the next book I'll consider this a MAJOR fail or this book.

Overall, a good bit of fun, especially if you enjoyed the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Plain Jane.

January 30, 2019 – Shelved