Veronica's Reviews > Beyond Risk

Beyond Risk by Connie Mann

F 50x66

I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

A year to the day since a teenage boy drowned on a trip Charlee was supervising, she is again on the river supervising a group of kayakers. When history starts to repeat itself and a teenager nearly drowns and the group is shot at. the question is are the two events related. With all the talk of what happened a year ago I wondered if I’d missed a book in this series and this was book 2 but after checking Goodreads I learned Beyond Risk is in fact the first book in this series.

This story wastes no time getting going. We jump straight into the action and I loved the pace. The danger, hunt for the person responsible for the shooting and then further acts of violence against people connected to Charlee and the romance between Charlee and Fish and Wildlife officer Hunter at a great mix. I was sure I had a 5 star book on my hands. I was excited and having a blast reading and loving all the different characters and threads to the story. And a bonus is I had no idea who did it or why so I was hooked.

Problem for me is my logical brain started to get in the way. Why after being submerged in water was Charlee’s phone working? Why is the Fish & Wildlife Commission investigating murder and attempted murder? Why did the men in Charlee’s life keep leaving her on her own when they knew how much danger she was in? As the story hit the 70% mark I was struggling to suspend my disbelief and my brain was killing my book buzz. Luckily for me though I was drawn back in to the story in the final 10% for the big finale which was full of suspense and well done.

I struggled with whether or not to give this book 3 or 4 stars because the things that bugged me really bugged me, but ultimately, for most of the book I was having a ball and that is what matters. So 4 stars it is.

Wicked Reads Review Team
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Risk.

Started Reading