Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥'s Reviews > Hope's Daughter

Hope's Daughter by Melanie Cusick-Jones

Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: dystopian, sci-fi, young-adult, own-ebook, romance, memorable-men, reviewed, favourites, arcs-giveaways
Recommended for: fans of YA romance and Dystopians

This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven. It is also published on Pages From My Thoughts.

This book was an extremely pleasant surprise. It was wonderful! It started out calm and sweet, with beautiful prose and a pleasant tone. In that respect it reminded me of Matched (which I loved by the way). But it didnt take me long, by the time I started the second chapter, to realize that this was not Matched. This was its own unique story. I started to notice small things that didnt seem right. Like Cassie's strangely distant but extremely interested parents who questioned her every action. The tone quickly changed to something creepy and uneasy. There was something seriously wrong with Cassie's world.

Hope's Daughter is set in the distant future, after Earth was destroyed by global warming, and the few surviving humans live on a space station named Hope. The population is separated for living quarters according to family situation. Family Quarter for families with children, Married Quarter for those without children, and Retired Quarter for those whose children are married. As Cassie approaches the age where marriage is a possibility, she realizes others around her are beginning to disappear. They have "eloped" to the Married Quarter without a word or a good-bye. She knows this is the way it has always been, but now that it is happening to her friends she realizes how wrong it is. Then she meets Balik. After the barcode on her and Balik's wrists turn from black to red, they have no idea what caused it, but they know what it means. They're next.

For a good three quarters of this book my mind was racing, trying to make sense of the strange series of events. A constant mystery and sense of impending danger. I could not put it down! And Balik was great. At first I just saw that he was withdrawn and quiet, but thoughtful and sweet. A nice combo, but its been done before. But I eventually realized that I had misjudged him. I was really impressed with him as he opened up to Cassie, and I realized that the version of him I saw at first, was just the version he showed the public to hide the fact that he was dissatisfied with his world. Balik was willing to ask Cassie challenging questions, forcing her to look at the world differently. He is strong and confident, and physically capable, when no one else in their world is. These qualities are even more impressive when you consider their upbringing on the station. Balik was pretty much a godsend, just what Cassie needed to get her through the hard times ahead, to make her the person she needed to be, and just what I needed too. ;)

And the ending did not disappoint. I knew it would be a make or break ending, after all the questions that were raised. But thankfully all was explained in an interesting, if not entirely shocking, way. The immediate threat was removed and I was pleased with the ending, but it left just enough hanging to make me want to come back for more. I am very much looking forward to The Rainbow Maker's Tale (the events of Hope's Daughter from Balik's POV) and the sequel, Outlanders!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope's Daughter.

January 29, 2012 – Shelved
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 29, 2012 – Shelved as: own-ebook
January 29, 2012 –
17.0% "I am only a few chapters in but I am really enjoying this so far. there are so many secrets in this world that it is rather creepy."
January 29, 2012 –
January 30, 2012 – Started Reading
January 30, 2012 –
44.0% "OMG this book is so creepy! In a good way. :P"
January 30, 2012 –
81.0% "I dont want to stop reading but I have to go to bed!"
January 31, 2012 – Shelved as: romance
January 31, 2012 – Shelved as: memorable-men
January 31, 2012 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 31, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 10, 2012 – Shelved as: favourites
January 4, 2013 – Shelved as: arcs-giveaways

message 1: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi I'm glad that you loved Hope's daughter. And wonderful review. At least after reading your review, I'm determined to read the book next.
I liked the way you described Cassie and the whole space station.
loved it

message 2: by Sudipa (new)

Sudipa Bera Gr8 review :)

message 4: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Cusick-Jones Hi Rebecca - thanks for the review - I'm glad you enjoyed Hope's Daughter :)

message 5: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Melanie wrote: "Hi Rebecca - thanks for the review - I'm glad you enjoyed Hope's Daughter :)"
Can you please check the book page of
Hope's Daughter by Melanie Cusick-Jones somehow the synopsis of the book was gone.

Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ Melanie wrote: "Hi Rebecca - thanks for the review - I'm glad you enjoyed Hope's Daughter :)"

I wish it wasnt over. I wish I was still reading it. :P

message 7: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Cusick-Jones Soumi (in love with PUCK) wrote: "
Can you please check the book page of"
Hope's Daughter by Melanie Cusick-Jones somehow the synopsis of the..."

Thanks Soumi - have just done that now - not sure if it's to do with Goodreads losing the data from Amazon - but hopefully it's back in there now :)

message 8: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Cusick-Jones Rebecca wrote: "I wish it wasnt over. I wish I was still reading it. :P"

:D Well - hopefully you'll like where things are going to go in Outlanders - I've got a 'missing moment' piece to post when the book's facebook page gets to 750 likes - about halfway there now - so there's a little bit extra too.

message 9: by Pastey (new)

Pastey great review. i just downloaded this book today because of it :)

Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ Pastey wrote: "great review. i just downloaded this book today because of it :)"

Yay! Hope you love it too. :P