Elizabeth's Reviews > When Dimple Met Rishi

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-dissapointments, 2019-reads, contemporary, diverse, young-adult

I'm so sad that this book was just not the right read for me. I love the cover and the concept and was greatly looking forward to a really great story. But, this was just not the book for me.

Now, not to say that the story didn't have merits.
It started out really strong. The writing was crisp, I loved the Indian American culture, and the chemistry between Dimple and Rishi sparkled.
But then all that great potential just fizzled into frustration.

One of my main frustrations was that for a book centered around computer programing and app development, there just wasn't that much? Dimple pitches her app idea and then abandons showing all the work that goes into product development. At one point, it says "three weeks later" and I literally groaned. We're just told Dimple and Rishi put in all this work. We never get to see Dimple do the computer tech she loves so much. Am i mad? yes

And another extremely frustrating element - Dimple and Rishi's relationship becomes, ahem, boring. Even when they've wronged each other, we don't get to see them act out their feelings. I'm told Dimple mopes for a month. But I don't really see why - because all they've done so far is go on dinner dates and tell us about working on this app. After they decide to date, it's like all the chemistry and sparkle is zapped from the book.

I'm also not sure what that talent contest was for? confusing as heck. Why is there a dance off at a tech competition. So confused.

And the rich villains? This is probably the third time this year I've read a story with frat boys as the villains. And frankly, it's annoying as hell. Those guys exist in real life, i've run into them many times. But they dominate the page and it just gets overdone. I just really struggle seeing these kind of sexist tropes played out as the constant villains. Sexism is more subtle and it feels too easy to make frat boys the villain - almost lazy writing. Frat boys are starting to feel like caricatures instead of real life problems you run into.

I love the fact that this book was written by an Southeast Asian author. I loved the way Dimple and Rishi could share their culture. I just wish the story was stronger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Dimple Met Rishi.

January 29, 2019 – Shelved
January 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 26, 2019 – Started Reading
November 26, 2019 –
page 87
22.89% "The rom com i needed in my life"
November 27, 2019 –
page 229
60.26% "okay, so it's really sweet and cute but i kind of hope the programming side picks up more"
November 27, 2019 – Finished Reading