Deb Sanders's Reviews > About a Boy

About a Boy by Nick Hornby

Jan 29, 2012

I found Nick Hornby and came to love him while reading High Fidelity. After reading "How to be Good" and thinking it was only ok, I decided to try my luck at this one.

I will give Nick this, he is always funny. This book went by very quickly.

Will is in his mid-thirties and lives off of his dad's one hit wonder song called, "Santa's Super Sleigh." What else does he do? Not much. He basically does all of the things that we do in our down time (those that have jobs) read, sleep, watch tv, visit with friends, work out, go out to eat, and so on. He didn't find anything wrong with it really, and he understands that women may not always be that attracted to him because of the lack of ambition he carries, whether or not he is a good looking man.

He stumbles upon a single mom who feels that she does not have enough to offer him, and realizes that he has struck gold. They (single moms) are this hidden resource that he never knew existed! He doesn't have to spend every waking moment with them (because they have less time) great sex, and he looks like this good guy because he thinks it's hard for them to find men to date that will put up with the fact that they have children!

He starts going to these single parent meetings S-P-A-T (Single Parents Alone Together) and tries to gain access to all of the single moms only to find out that it's not all it's cracked up to be. But, what he ends up getting out of it, is something that he never knew existed---a life. He meets Marcus, who is the son of a depressed single mom who cries almost every day. He strikes up a friendship with Marcus, who shows him that maybe it's better to give and receive, instead of just receive. He finds meaning in life when he never knew there was any.

A touching book, and at times, laugh out loud funny. I'm looking forward to Hornby's next effort!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About a Boy.