destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > A Heart So Fierce and Broken

A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer

#1 A Curse So Dark and Lonely ★★★★★
#2 A Heart So Fierce and Broken DNF

DNF @ 20%

No rating, obviously, because I didn't read nearly enough of this to really give a thoughtful opinion on it... but ow, my heart.

This was one of my most anticipated releases of 2020! Curse was one of my favorite reads of 2019, I loved Harper and Rhen and Grey so freaking much, I loved the plot, everything. My hopes were SO high — and then the mere first few chapters of this book snatched them up and threw them off a cliff into a rocky cesspool below. *sigh*

On one hand, the pacing is good and the first 20% definitely flew right by. On the other hand, that's probably because nothing happened besides a bunch of backwards character developments, some obnoxious new characters, and a new direction for the plot that I absolutely hate. Despite all of that, I was still torn — do I cut my losses here while I can still love the first book, or keep trying and risk hating the whole series by the end? — but after I started reading reviews, I realized I just couldn't bring myself to bother. I hope others have a better experience with this one, but I'll be over here quietly pretending that Curse was a stand-alone with an open ending. Really, it's better this way.

Edited to add: Because a few people have told me I would like this book more if I had continued it, I probably should mention that, after choosing to "officially" DNF it where I did, I skimmed forward and read chunks of the rest of the book here and there to see if I might be more intrigued by what was happening. I then also skipped ahead and read the last few chapters (I know, blasphemy, but this is something that has convinced me to continue a boring or disappointing book many times in the past, so I was hopeful). Unfortunately, not only did I find the plot line predictable enough that literally NOTHING about the end surprised me, but I was even more frustrated by the characters by the end that I can safely guarantee nothing that happened between the sections I read would have redeemed AHSFAB for me. :( /end edit

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heart So Fierce and Broken.

January 29, 2019 – Shelved
January 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2019 – Shelved as: owned-ebooks
January 2, 2020 –
page 66
14.22% "I am really not enjoying this so far :("
January 2, 2020 – Shelved as: dnf
January 2, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-reads
February 16, 2020 – Shelved as: review-copies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy It has to be!!!!!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Amy wrote: "It has to be!!!!!!"

I will RIOT if it isn't 😭

message 3: by Atika (new) - added it

Atika Mittal I NEED THIS TO BE ABOUT GREY. PLEASE!?

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Atika wrote: "I NEED THIS TO BE ABOUT GREY. PLEASE!?"

Same!!

message 5: by tesh (new) - added it

tesh I want this to be about Zo and Grey so bad...

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] tesh wrote: "I want this to be about Zo and Grey so bad..."

I just need more Grey in my life 😭

message 7: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor I've read this now and suddenly your comment makes sense and YES PLEASE

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Taylor wrote: "I've read this now and suddenly your comment makes sense and YES PLEASE"

Hahah right?!?!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone Just Told Me That This is Going to Be a Trilogy.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Ginny♥♡ Have Courage and Be Kind♥♡ wrote: "Someone Just Told Me That This is Going to Be a Trilogy."

Awesome! I'd only heard of it being a duology so far, so that's good news!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: " Ginny♥♡ Have Courage and Be Kind♥♡ wrote: "Someone Just Told Me That This is Going to Be a Trilogy."

Awesome! I'd only heard of it being a duology so far, so that's good news!"

:D

Someone Who Got a Advance Copy of The 2nd Book Told Me That There is Going to Be a Third Book

Mariam Almasri Why do we people need to wait more 😭😭😭

Emily Schwartz I'm reading an ARC and...the chapters are from different PoV. We definitely get some Grey action. 😊

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Emily wrote: "I'm reading an ARC and...the chapters are from different PoV. We definitely get some Grey action. 😊"

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Hope you're enjoying it! I just got a copy a couple of days ago and can't wait to start it. :D

~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾ I really hope there's going to be more Grey and Zo moments :>

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] ~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "I really hope there's going to be more Grey and Zo moments :>"

Aw, yes!

~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾ OMG I meant Grey and Harper XD my bad

message 18: by Emily (last edited Jun 25, 2019 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily Schwartz The author announced a THIRD BOOK!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Emily wrote: "The author announced a THRID BOOK!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"

SHE DID!?!?!??! OMG!!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] ~ Althea ~ ☾ wrote: "OMG I meant Grey and Harper XD my bad"

😂😂 Not gonna lie, I was half-asleep when I saw your comment and honestly just assumed you meant Harper

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Emily wrote: "The author announced a THRID BOOK!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!"

That's so exciting!! 😍 I had a hunch she might soon!

Gemma F I just finished reading an ARC and it was better than i expected!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Gemma wrote: "I just finished reading an ARC and it was better than i expected!!"

Awesome, so glad you enjoyed it! I'm hoping to get to my ARC soon :D

rachel ☾ oh no, this is gutting me! curse was one of my faves of 2019 too and grey was so precious, i couldn't wait for his story

arini ☆彡 seriously?? omg yikes!! i was so excited for this. sorry this sucked. :(

NAT.orious reads ☽ well, THAT's a bummer. Sad to hear you didn't enjoy this and so early on in the new reading year :(

Cynthia It sounds like you made a wise decision for yourself. I’m sorry it was such a disappointment!

message 28: by Sionna (new) - added it

Sionna Wow, I just don't even know right now. My plan is still to try it out by the weekend, but at least I won't be going in super hyped about it :(

message 29: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Fugate Aww I'm sorry you didn't like it. I'm roughly halfway through and LOVING IT

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] rachel ☾ wrote: "oh no, this is gutting me! curse was one of my faves of 2019 too and grey was so precious, i couldn't wait for his story"

I'm so sorry, love! I really hope you'll enjoy it more. Please let me know what you think ASAP!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] arini wrote: "seriously?? omg yikes!! i was so excited for this. sorry this sucked. :("

Thanks friend :( I hope you enjoy it more!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] NAT.orious reads ☽ wrote: "well, THAT's a bummer. Sad to hear you didn't enjoy this and so early on in the new reading year :("

Thank you, I know! :( But I'm being optimistic and saying hopefully it will only go up from here haha!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Cynthia wrote: "It sounds like you made a wise decision for yourself. I’m sorry it was such a disappointment!"

Thank you <3 Me too!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Sionna wrote: "Wow, I just don't even know right now. My plan is still to try it out by the weekend, but at least I won't be going in super hyped about it :("

Please let me know all your thoughts about it!! I'll be crossing my fingers it works better for you <3

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Gina wrote: "Aww I'm sorry you didn't like it. I'm roughly halfway through and LOVING IT"

Thank you. Ahh, I'm so glad! I hope you end up loving the second half, too!

Erica ♋️✨ Awww man i loved the first book so much and i pre ordered the second book I’m sorry you didn’t love it

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Booo! This sucks to start off the new year with your most anticipated bombing out on you 😕 I hope you have some other releases that actually fulfill and surpass your expectations 🤞🏻

rachel ☾ destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "rachel ☾ wrote: "oh no, this is gutting me! curse was one of my faves of 2019 too and grey was so precious, i couldn't wait for his story"

I'm so sorry, love! I really hope you'll enjoy it more. P..."

it's not your fault hun, but i'll let you know what i think as soon as i pick it up. i'm rereading a curse so dark & lonely atm so should be soon

Sol ~ TheBookishKing aghh this was truly such a disappointment! 🙉 so so sad

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Erica 📚♋️✨ wrote: "Awww man i loved the first book so much and i pre ordered the second book I’m sorry you didn’t love it"

Aw I hope you like it! <3

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω wrote: "Booo! This sucks to start off the new year with your most anticipated bombing out on you 😕 I hope you have some other releases that actually fulfill and surpass your expectations 🤞🏻"

Thank you <3 <3 Crossing my fingers too haha!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Sol ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "aghh this was truly such a disappointment! 🙉 so so sad"

I KNOOOWWWWW 😭😭

Courtney Alexandria I agree. I’m so pissed off at this book. One of my most anticipated for the year and it was a huge fail! And I read the whole thing... I had to.. I kept hoping it would redeem itself... it didn’t.. I wish I had also just acted like Curse was a stand-alone because this ruined it.

Stephanie I fought through. I am so disappointed in this book.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Courtney Alexandria wrote: "I agree. I’m so pissed off at this book. One of my most anticipated for the year and it was a huge fail! And I read the whole thing... I had to.. I kept hoping it would redeem itself... it didn’t....."

I'm sorry, love :( That's such a shame! I'm still a little bit pissed off about it too. 😬 I ended up going back and reading the last few chapters (I know, blasphemy lol) to see if it looked like it was worth giving another chance, and 100% NOPE NOPE NOPE.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Stephanie wrote: "I fought through. I am so disappointed in this book."

I'm sorry, Stephanie! :( I really hope your next read is better.

message 47: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I still haven't read the first book despite meaning to since everyone loved it, but with the reactions to the second book I'm wondering if it's really worth getting attached to the characters now.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Catherine wrote: "I still haven't read the first book despite meaning to since everyone loved it, but with the reactions to the second book I'm wondering if it's really worth getting attached to the characters now."

I honestly LOVED the first book, but if you read it, I strongly recommend treating it as a stand-alone with a slightly open ending :/

Marquise I feel so much like you after finishing this book yesterday, so tempted to just pretend the first book was an open-ended standalone. :'( I'll still read the 3rd book only for Rhen and Harper.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Marquise wrote: "I feel so much like you after finishing this book yesterday, so tempted to just pretend the first book was an open-ended standalone. :'( I'll still read the 3rd book only for Rhen and Harper."

I hope the 3rd book is better! :( I think I'm done with the series sadly.

« previous 1