Dora (Swift Coffee Book Blog)'s Reviews > One Last Prayer for the Rays

One Last Prayer for the Rays by Wes Markin

Full review: http://swiftcoffee.blog/2019/02/13/bl...

This book is such an incredibly strong debut that I actually mistook it for one that an author with more published stories behind them would write. Literally. There was a moment when I thought wow, I'd so love to read everything this author has written - and I went on Goodreads to see what else is out there. That's when I realized that this is a debut novel. (I probably already knew that, and then forgot, though.) That's how good it is.

I love how it is a mixture between a 'normal' thriller (where we get to see the victims' and villains' thoughts and feelings and experiences) and a police procedural (where we see into the investigation as well as the private lives/thoughts and relations between detectives and other staff). It worked really well, and helped avoid being too much of a cliché. I loved the characters (or loved hating some of them), their motives were believable and heart-wrenching sometimes, and even in the cases of right-out psychos they were psychologically understandable (though their actions were ones that a psychologically whole and healthy person would never, ever understand...or stomach). The story had so many twists and turns, and may I say many storylines, that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, yet it was completely easy to follow. It was a very exciting ride!

I wouldn't say the wording is exceptional or unique (though it really is good), but it matched the story and atmosphere exceptionally and it helped me getting into the mood and the fast unfolding of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Last Prayer for the Rays.

January 29, 2019 – Started Reading