Crista's Reviews > Dream Lake

Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas

3194546
Jan 29, 2012

bookshelves: 5-star, bad-boys, contemporary, favorites, hot, lol, series, tear-jerkers, tortured-heroes, tortured-heroines
Read from May 24 to 25, 2012

5 HUGE*****Stars

Dream Lake, Lisa Kleypas's newest installment in the awesome Friday Harbor series, simply blew me away. Lisa Kleypas has a way of spinning a tale so tight, that you become completely immersed in the story. I had plans for today, but after reading the first chapter of this book, I canceled those plans and spent the day reading. It was time well spent.

The first three chapters serve as background for the entire series, so this book could be read as a stand alone. However, this series has been so excellent that if you haven't read Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and Rainshadow Road, please do! Dream Lake happens in the exact same time frame as Rainshadow Road does, so it's fun to see glimpses of what we already saw happen in Rainshadow Road.

I loved Rainshadow Road, but I knew when Alex met Zoe and tasted her muffin that this couple would steal the show, and I was right. This is the story my heart has been waiting for.

Alex Nolan broke my heart into tiny pieces. The youngest of the four Nolan children who were raised in an abusive, neglectful, and alcoholic home, Alex's scars are numerous. When we met him in Rainshadow Road, he was going through a divorce and drinking himself to death. I was immediately drawn to this tortured hero and when he met Zoe, I knew that she was his perfect match.

Zoe is a culinary expert. She thrives in the kitchen and her artistry with food knows no limits. It's almost like her food creations have the ability to comfort, sooth, and heal (all things that Alex so badly needs.) Lisa Kleypas's ability to describe food in this book had all my senses reeling.

Alex and Zoe were magic together, however, Alex's road to sobriety is made on his own. I appreciated how Alex's addiction was handled and that Zoe didn't try to manage it. There is no codependency in this relationship and I loved how this sensitive subject matter was handled. The sensuality in this book is very steamy and I was more than satisfied with the way this relationship was given time to mature before it was consummated.

There is a secondary romance in this book as well. This romance was almost as touching as Alex and Zoe's relationship, and I feel like I got two love stories for the price of one! Secondary romances are so hard to do well, and Kleypas gets this one right. It added so much depth and meaning to the story. I was in tears by the end.

For those of you resistant to the paranormal, beware.......
(view spoiler)
However, in my opinion, I loved this twist and felt that it gave the book necessary humor, heart, and true meaning.

I wish there were more stars...I really do. A remarkable memorable journey that spoke to my heart, soul, and stomach! Highly recommended!

I received this ARC via Amazon's Vine Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Lake.

05/24/2012 page 1
0.0% "I feel like Christmas came early with this ARC!!!!!! Yee-Haw!" 2 comments
05/25/2012 page 71
21.0% "I love L.K.'s writing style....you care about her characters:) This book is awesome.....looks like take out for the family tonight!" 6 comments
05/25/2012 page 336
100.0% "I love L.K.'s writing style....you care about her characters:) This book is awesome.....looks like take out for the family tonight!"
05/25/2012 page 336
100.0% "5++++++ stars! Incredible, outstanding, unbelievable ect. ect. ect.! Fav. Line: I don't want you to do things for me. I don't want you to think of ways to please me. You've already ruined me. For the rest of my life, I'll never be able to look at another woman without wanting her to be you. You're woven all through me. I can't even dream without you being in my head!" 3 comments

Trewen you little lucky!

Crista Thanks Trewen! It is awesome so far:)

Crista Thanks Baba! Loved this one!!!

Keri Awesome review Crista! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

message 6: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited May 27, 2012 01:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Beautiful review, Crista!!

I agree, when I saw how Alex reacted to Zoe and her amazing muffins, it made me very excited for their story. My heart ached for Alex in Rainshadow Road. My book is all pre-ordered and I'm eagerly awaiting it, upon its release! But August 7 (+2 weeks or so) is such a long way away!

And looks like I need to have some snacks on standby when I read this, eh? LOL Since it will make me hungrier than I was with the cookie baking in Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and the description of Zoe's muffins in Rainshadow Road. Lisa Kleypas has excellent lyrical prose that awakens all the senses. ^_^

Crista Hi Keri! You have lots to look forward to with this one:)

Crista Hi Lady Jayne!!!
Yes, you will definitely need yummy snacks to enjoy along the way while reading this one!!! It is a book for all the senses! Thanks for checking in and for all your kind comments!