Tim Casteel's Reviews > The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt

Haidt wants "to show you that an obsession with righteousness… is the normal human condition…We’re born to be righteous.”

Haidt is a lifelong Democrat and Atheist who is VERY fair-minded and unbelievably aligned with Biblical truth.

Fascinating book on how people change their mind on two of the most polarizing topics: politics and religion.

His conclusion: The main way that we change our minds on moral issues is by interacting with other people that we like.

Haidt’s extensive research shows that the modern definition of morality as “do no harm” is indefensible. "Some actions are wrong even though they don’t hurt anyone.” He then sets out to explain, from a evolutionary biological standpoint: where morality came from in the first place.

A few of his key insights:
- Why did we evolve an inner lawyer, rather than an inner judge or scientist (why do we seek to justify our actions)?
- We are not rational beings but emotional beings who use reasoning to justify our actions post hoc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Righteous Mind.

January 29, 2019 – Started Reading
January 29, 2019 – Shelved
February 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Kassing This is on my read list.