Reds_reads's Reviews > Thrones, Dominations

Jan 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, 2000-s, crime-fiction, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2012

Thrones, Dominations was started by Sayers (she left notes and plot outlines) and finished by Paton Walsh. I wish I could give this a half star more, it's not great, but the opportunity to read about Peter and Harriet's life together soon after their marriage is very welcome.

The actual murder mystery is not very substantial, my enjoyment came from the return of familiar characters (and seeing Helen's snobby nose being put well and truly out of joint).

The main drawback of the book, naturally is that it was not completed by Sayers. Whenever I encountered a word or phrase that didn't ring quite true I was reminded of this and began wondering what her choice of words would have been. In previous books I have noticed Sayers' inconsistent feminism, but this inconsistency seemed more problemmatic in this book, which although started decades ago was completed recently, I was less able to accept the difference between the attitude towards Harriet's career continuing post-marriage and the reason for the murder (please excuse that vague phrase, I don't want any spoilers.

In summary, enjoyable, but not without frustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thrones, Dominations.