Kirstie's Reviews > My Lady Jane

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: alternate-history, fantasy, speculative-fiction, strong-female-characters, young-adult

A hilarious and sweet rewrite of the history of Lady Jane Grey.

The characters are good fun: the young, ill-fated king who just wants a pash before he shuffles off this mortal coil, and the young couple to be with their plentiful misconceptions about one another, all three of them being pushed about on the political chessboard.

The setting is mostly familiar, Tudor period England, but with shifters (or rather, edians). It was interesting, but not a great deal of description was given to somethings which I would have loved to have gotten a better picture of. I assume the authors figured most people reading were already familiar with the period and setting.

Be forewarned a lot of the humor is more modern, which technically works because the frame story is that the frequently interjecting into the story narrators are historians of some sort who researched the 'truth', but if you don't like modern humor in your historical fiction then this one might be one to avoid.

There are a LOT of references in this. Some of it's quite funny, but some of it is just distracting. There was of course plenty of Shakespeare (which makes sense with a narrator comment on the fact near the end, and I'd suspected as much myself), but also many other pop culture sorts of things like 'tales of my demise have been greatly exaggerated', and 'frying pans, who knew?' to name just a few. But it happens. A lot. Occasionally it actually threw me from the story. Though not half so bad as some of the narrator interjections. Some were funny, like the one about where she got the rope (though that did also break the tension which would have been fine to be left high IMO), but there was one that really infuriated me (view spoiler)

The story overall was good fun and I look forward to the next volume which is supposedly about Jane Eyre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lady Jane.

January 29, 2019 – Started Reading